PDA

View Full Version : question for Bren?

vujade
August 11th 2002, 11:44
Bren,

How do you have your rear swing axle suspension setup?

Aftermarket parts?

Modifications?

Adjustments?

thanks,
Joe (vujade)

PS: I have a SA rear suspension on my 67 as well (seems like Im going to keep it) & I want it to handle well :)

bren
August 12th 2002, 07:52
lowered by dropping it 5 inner splines and then raising it 5 outer splines.. (approx 30mm drop) toe-is set as close to zero as i could get it.. Z-bar is removed, springplate lower stops are built up with weld then ground down to shape.. this has created an effect similar to flopstops or limiting straps... if you jack the rear end up, the wheels only drop around 2 or 3 inches before the springplates hit the stops.. ie: no horrible wheeltuck!! shocks are bugpack blues.. i tried stiffer shocks, but they dont lend themselves well to swingaxle rears IMO.. creates too much oversteer. soft is good when combined with a stiff front.

hope that helps some?! any more Q's feel free to shout...

vujade
August 12th 2002, 09:07
thanks Bren :)

this is what I was thinking for a setup:

RLR 1" SA Tranny Raise Kit
SAW Camber Compensator (to limit rear wheel tuck)
Lower rear approximately 1" - 1.5"
Shocks ? (Not sure yet)

bren
August 14th 2002, 10:03
be aware that a camber compensator effectively reduces your rear spring rate as it provides an upwards sprung force on your axles... if you are staying with a type1 based motor, then youll be fine, but add more weight to the rear and youll begin to need stiffer torsion bars.. and stiffer bars on a swingaxle setup create their own set pof problems when you push the car hard into the corner.. imagine your rear end unloading mid-bend at speed!! :eek: im more a fan of stiffening up the front end and limiting the travel at the rear than just fitting a CC.. they are after all big spring that pushes the wrong way!