PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Porsche D90 wheels, lugcentric vs. hubcentric?

naaz90
July 14th 2009, 16:15
The Porsche D90 wheel is a hubcentric wheel. Presently I have them mounted lugcentric on stock VW rotors and rear drums (drilled to 5x130). All is fine, but the car hasn't rolled out of the garage yet!

I am using the proper Porsche ball seat lug nut (studs pressed in the rotors/drums), from H&R.

My question is does anyone run a modern Porsche wheel without using the hub to mount it? Any issues? What torque setting are you using?

The car is a '72 Ghia, street driven.

Steve C
July 14th 2009, 18:33
Hi

As long as the redrilling was done accuratly its no diffrent than running your 4 studs which were non hub centric.

Stock wheel bolt torque would be OK.

Steve

naaz90
July 14th 2009, 23:09
The drums and rotors are actually brand new from socal autoparts, so you dont have to worry about drilling in the thin metal area of the stock parts.

My main issue is the fact the D90 wheel was never really meant to rest on the lugs and I'm worried about the lugs vibrating and the wheels falling off at highway speeds!!!!

Wally
July 15th 2009, 02:56
Hi

As long as the redrilling was done accuratly its no diffrent than running your 4 studs which were non hub centric.

Steve

:confused: AFAIK, all somewhat later 4-lug stock beetle wheels are definately hub centric on the front.

Anytime I ever tried to use the lug holes for centering porsche wheels, balance was usually way off. Even on the rear, you could really feel it was off, even though the wheel themselves were balanced perfectly.
Don't think because the porsche wheel nut is conical that you can center a 20 lbs wheel with it...been there, done that. It never worked that way.

Trying to run lug centric is a gamble and your 95% of the times so far off that you feel it the first time you turn onto the freeway...
Always have your rotor mounts, spindles or however its called, be machined in such a way that you have a perfect concentric hub with 71.5mm iirc diameter edge, so that the rim is centered optimally.
I have tried it all and trust me, you don't want to run unbalanced wheels due to an out of center fitting for any period of time...

Steve C
July 15th 2009, 04:49
Hi Wally

The 1302 & 1303 were 4 wheel drums in the US and I don't think hub centric started until the 1303, at least down here.

I had some Cookie cutters on a beam front end bug, the disc's were old type and had no hub centric and I never had any problems.

Steve

Joel
July 15th 2009, 05:44
the original discs on the front of mine had the locating hub shoulder thingys
i swapped them for earlier discs though as none of my 4x100 aftermarket rims had big enough center bores to fit over them

ive never had any probs with balance
and beleive me with 17 and 18" tyres if its there u will feel it :lmao: