PDA

View Full Version : Witch Shifter?

Martice
December 20th 2002, 16:20
Hi guys,

I need( :) ) to buy a new shifter for my 1302.
A little hepl to decide will be nice!

My car is red, the interior is black probably with leather seats or sparco black seats, I have alu steering wheel, alu pedals,alu "carpets", chrome hand beake and some other billet alu stuff.

So which are the options for shifters that could match my interior and make better shifting?

One nice option is the Scat drag fast shifter. witch is $130

Martice
December 20th 2002, 16:29
another option:

'SHIFT LEVER "DRAGSTER" Strong chrome flat shaft with separate handle and chrome steel rod to release reverse lock-out.'

hoffmann-speedster sels this shifter for $100
seems to be like the scat but not scat :)

What do you guys know about this kind of shifters? do they really make a difference or is just that they look good?

Are there any other options around $100?

thanks!

martin

Supa Ninja
December 20th 2002, 16:53
Martice,
I'm running a Scat dragfast shifter and I like the short throws between gears, I've been running it for over 3 years and I still like it. It looks good too. I hope that $130 is not American Dollars cause I only payed $70 USD.
When I put a 901(maybe 915) tranny, I want to put in a 911 shifter but until then I'll be happily running the dragfast shifter.

Nick

Martice
December 20th 2002, 17:28
Thanks!

:( its 130 USD....from where did you bought it for 70?(half price) :)

i heart vw
December 20th 2002, 18:51
i bought mine from a local vw parts shop for 60 or 70 USD (i also knew the onwers)...i'm sure if you like the the scat shifter you can go to the samba (http://www.thesamba.com) and look in there classifieds for a shifter if you don't mind a used one...

wallace lee
December 21st 2002, 00:08
I would choose berg shifter anytime. Other than that, it would be either stock or a Hurst shifter.....if especially when you pay US130 for a Scat shifter.

They are usually sold for approx US70 only:o

Martice
December 21st 2002, 03:35
Hi guys,

Where I will do my shoipping for other items, Custom-Speed-Parts, the scat shifter is $130 and the Gene Berg is $230 or $250.I feel that are pretty expesive.
Do you have any idea were can new Scat shifters be found?
I do not mind used one but I saw on E-bay that they go for over $70-$100, +payment+shipping I'll go for over 120 for a used shifter...

wallace lee
December 21st 2002, 05:50
Berg sells their shifter

according to the catalogue I have is

1. GB 6710 = US130.94

I think that is the cheapest with the more expensive locking ones at about US300.00 plus minus.

U can try ordering the Berg shifters directly from them and have it posted to you.

Forget the Scat shifter if you are paying US130 for it.

Sandeep
December 21st 2002, 11:12
I've got the Scat Drag-Fast... I love it. Its presice and solid. I'll probably change to a 911 shifter when I get the 901 5 speed down the road...

I paid $130 CAD at the local VW shop.

Sandeep

Martice
December 21st 2002, 12:34
you lucky you...

my nearest vw shop is 500miles away...
Are there any on-line shops that sell the Scat Drafast for less than $130?
I really like this shifter.

Martin

vujade
December 21st 2002, 13:13
here you go, they have it for $75 US Moore Parts Source (http://www.mooreparts.com)

Ron Roberts
December 21st 2002, 13:56
If I may hop in with a related question, does the aftermarket shifters have some kind of spring loading or something to pop it into the nuetral position. Also do these shifters actually guide you into each gear?. My stock setup with bushing replaced, just goes where ever you put it, so you have to know where to put it or you miss. There is no help from the shifter itself like most other cars. This question does not apply to the $39 hurst "style" shifters and their cousins. Just the good ones.

Thanks,
Ron

lightning bug
December 21st 2002, 18:21
I had the Scat. Now I'm using a 915 shifter for my conversion. Loved the Scat. Wish I never got rid of it. Bought it for $75 US at a local shop.

NextGen
December 23rd 2002, 01:16
For years I had bad experiances with shifters. Than I spoke to VW trans expert and he said the answer was simple. He said to just shorten the lenght of the shifter handle. By doing that the throw is shorthen and you still had the stock quality shifer. I ran that for years and it worked great. You don't even notice you hand is a few inches lower. Then I drove a Berg shifter and I must admit it was worth every penny. What a piece of work. I paid 100 bucks. There are a few things you can't be cheap on. Well this is what I believe, if you are going to spend any time in a bug. The shifter, the seats, Radio System, heater, or and yes a small fat steering wheel.
Joe Cali

Steve C
December 23rd 2002, 08:06
Hi

Im not a fan of T bar shifters, they might be fine for drag racing but for anything else I find they are pane in the bum, I find that I never need a reverse lock out, I run 2 springs and I can put my hand on the shifter knob anyway I like, not in the single plane that a T bar needs to be gripped. I use a shifter from a Type 3 with a quick shift, its bent back towards the driver so it fits into the hand perfectly. T bars are for nancy boy automatics. The only thing Im thinking of doing is extending the lenght of the stick so it is closer to steering wheel and my hand.

Steve C

NextGen
December 23rd 2002, 18:39
Hay Steve in Oz, the reason you don't like the Tee is because you are shifting with your left hand, Ha. Actually I can understand that.
Joe

bren
December 24th 2002, 06:58
i agree totally with SteveC.. i just cannot get on with T shifters.. in fact i'll go as far as saying that i think they SUCK! ;)

My solution was to take the stock shifter shaft, heat it in a furnace, then fill the bore of it (its hollow) with molten lead. this obviously made it weigh more. then i put it back together with a bugpack short shift kit, then screwed over the top a UK made, ferrari style handle. its basically a stainless tube that covers the stock shaft and has a turned aluminium ball on the top with an internal thread. looks cool and also upped the weight even more.

Now i have a shifter with a quick, smooth action that needs little persuasion to enter the gate as its so heavy, and the ball end means i can block change fast with my hand in any position ( something not possible with a T.. steve mentioned it and i also agree. )

oasis57
December 24th 2002, 22:16
Is there a difference between "short throw" shifters in a Käfer Cup style car and a drag style car? (I am only asking with reference to the throw, not gear ratios and such.)

Thanks,
René

chigger
December 25th 2002, 00:37
I personnally prefer the ball over the t-handle. I got my scat drag fast from lit'ingbug. It looks like at first glance that it can be modified to be used with the 911/901 (similar to the 915) trans and still retain the reverse lockout. I am just making a guide plate to fit under the shifter.

Martice
December 26th 2002, 10:19
thanks for your opinions on this.I see that some preffer the t-handle some not.
I personally love the look of the scat dragfast and found one for $50. If I buy it its fine, if not I'll use the stock shifter until I find something that will make a difference and not cost me an arm and a leg :)

enjoy the Holidays!:cake:

jmillheiser
January 11th 2003, 01:12
if i remember correctly you can get rid of the t handle on the drag fast.

i personally love the drag fast. very short throws and nice positive action. and it has a spring so it self centers. i would rather have the reverse lock out on the VW shift pattern. too easy to hit reverse when going for 2nd on a downshift if you have a short throw shifter. virtually all cars ive seen with a left side reverse (reverse on the left side of the pattern) have a lock out for reverse. i have seen very few cars with right side reverse (most cars) with a lockout. but its usually not a problem since reverse is usually pretty far to the right in the pattern

RLW6000
January 19th 2003, 00:06
I have shifter that is a no name brand (came in the car) that I found a pic of in a catalog and they call it a "short trigger style". It has a reverse lock out and is a nice looking chrome with a round black ball on top for a handle. I really like the way it shifts. Nice short throws and follows the shift pattern with almost no effort. I may change the ball to something else (not a "T" handle) though. The reverse lock out is a llop made onto the front side of the shaft that you lift up to go into reverse. Good luck with the quest for the perfect shifter.

Alex
January 19th 2003, 08:52
I do have a Berg shifter but that shifter that Oliver posted looks amazing.
Quite expensive though.

Alex

Martice
January 19th 2003, 11:17
Yes, that shifter that Oliver posted looks quite good, but if you have a $10K car you can get a $500 shifter.
I am still looking for a cheap drag fast...

danielzink
December 12th 2003, 19:30
Does anyone know where the picture of Olivers shifter went to ?

Also - is it a piece that Oliver stocks ? I can't seem to email him....

Thanks !

Dan

Alex
December 12th 2003, 22:06
Dan,

have a look at the interior gallery at the main page of Germanlook.com. You will find a pic there.
I have it and I have to say that I already love it without driving the car.

You shift into first and pull straight down to second. Now the shifter will automatically move to the right so the shift in 3rd is just straight up. Shifting then into 4th is straight down and to shift into 5th I actually have to move it to the right.

Alex

hybrid_john
December 13th 2003, 01:00
So Alex, your shifter is like having a sequential transmission, minus shifting to the right for fifth! I like that, and its probably a whole lot cheaper than a 5-speed sequential tranny...I like that too:D

John

Martice
December 13th 2003, 09:52
This is nice.

What is the system? How does it know if you shift upwards or downard - 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th?

Martin

Alex
December 13th 2003, 18:43
It is all done thru springs.

Alex

hot66
December 14th 2003, 18:16
alex, I'm fitting my box & shifter in the next week or so (when my berg5 front mount arrives in the post), have you mounted the shifter with the spring mech facing to the front of the car?

Alex
December 15th 2003, 02:19
http://www.germanlook.com/Images/Interior3.jpg

This should help.

Alex

hot66
December 15th 2003, 05:35
thats how I've mounted mine, but my handbrake almost touches the shifter (10mm clearance between shifter body & handbrake button) :( (1303 pan)

What pan are you running or have you shortened the handbrake?

Alex
December 15th 2003, 06:02
67 swing axle converted to IRS. E-brake handle is not modified.

I have seen it being a tight fit on a Super.
Mine is okay. Look at it this way.....you do not normally use the e-brake while driving.;)

Alex

hot66
December 15th 2003, 06:36
depends how you drive ;) :D :D

danielzink
December 15th 2003, 22:11
Well.........I've email Oliver twice now. No response...does anyone know if there are any other distributors for the shifter ?

Thanks, Dan

Alex
December 15th 2003, 22:13
Gerd Weiser is one. www.gwd-weiser.de

All the German Tuners sell it I believe.

Alex

hybrid_john
December 16th 2003, 22:22
hot66: I know what you mean, tight, hard,sharp corners are easily taken with the e-brake, just a little harder to double-clutch when you do this, better to heal and toe it. If you know what I mean:D:D:D:D

John

boygenius
December 17th 2003, 21:20
I always liked to bring the rear of the car around with the throttle and not the brakes. 1969 beetle with worn out suspension and plugged tires in a four wheel drift, now thats what I call fun.:D

Eurolook71
December 18th 2003, 00:50
t-shifters are for drag racers, IMO. A nice round ball seems more GL to me. For shifters, stock with a short throw kit is great. If you know your car, slipping into the wrong gear shouldnt be a problem.

Gotta admit, that shifter Alex has there is wicked. Would hurt my feelings to trade in stock for that!

Ron Roberts
December 18th 2003, 10:52
The stock shifter is often thought of as inferior, and attention is given to the shift rod bushing, but often the problem is just an old sloppy tranny. A new tranny can be set up nice and tight which translates into a shifter, even a stock one, that has no slop.

hybrid_john
December 18th 2003, 23:03
true, but you gotta admit, that it would be easier to shift with a stick like Alex's. Even if your tranny any everything else is pristeen and right opn the money, it would be easier to race and drive with simulated sequential shifter....IMHO:D It just depends on the person!

John

boygenius
December 18th 2003, 23:15
I bought a used T-handle short throw shifter for $15 and never missed a shift, even with a bent shift rod. I've always wondered if it was an original EMPI shifter since it is about 25 or 30 years old.:confused: