PDA

View Full Version : Best shocks regardless price

wallace lee
December 21st 2002, 05:58
Not a high tech suspension setup, but I have a ball joint torsion bar and swing axle bug. Currently using Koni Reds at the rear and stock BOGE on the front.

What is the best shocks should I go for all round handling.

I have in mind the following

1. Koni Reds all round
2. Bilstein
3. Spax adjustables
4. Toxic Shox

I have got a mate who uses the Toxic and he loves it, but I am considering other options. I am quite happy with the Konis though.

Front would be lowered with Avis adjusters and the rear is lowered a little bit. I have the thicker Sway Away anti roll bar and Urethane bushes,camber compensater,traction bar at the rear.

Car will be daily driver. Would gas be a little hard???

yeah, also running 8 spokes with Yokohama 195s 60 series allround. Hope all the info helps.

Michael Ghia
December 22nd 2002, 08:56
Koni Koni Koni :)
After using them on cars for years and reading lots of books on handling (not just Beetle books mind :) ) everyone says the same thing. Koni know what they are doing.
If you want to go the whole hog then get dual adjustable shocks from Koni so you can adjust the Bump and Rebound.
MG

lightning bug
December 22nd 2002, 19:27
I'll second that!! I use 'em on ALL of my cars.

wallace lee
December 23rd 2002, 05:41
Ok, Koni it will be then. I rely on info/feedback from you guys cause I can't afford to try each and everyone of them.

So, can someone give me the part num for Koni shocks for the front ball joint beam?
It is lowered now with adjusters, does Koni has a shorter shocks for these or do I need to get the spindles to use the Koni to full effect?
Think there was an article on Volksworld, will have to dig them up.

MIke , I like the Koni with the adjustable bump and rebound. That is my little "complain" with the Koni reds I have now, if I set it too soft, the "rebound" is a little "slow". I have never seen those before.
Do you have the part number for those and how much difference compared to the normal reds?also, who sells them in UK?

Many Thanx to all of you.:)

lightning bug
December 23rd 2002, 13:29
66 front......................................80-1349
67-77 B.J. front..........................80-1787
I.R.S. rear...................................80-2149
S.A. rear.....................................80-1350

rebound adjustable

www.koni.com

Pillow
December 23rd 2002, 15:18
FYI in the US it is hard to beat www.shox.com for the price.

Also I think I have heard that early 944 rear shocks will fit in the IRS Beetle... But I have not tried.

FWIW I like Bilsteins for a driver, but if you are going all out the Konis are the best choice for serious tunability.

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Michael Ghia
December 23rd 2002, 15:20
Wallace,
For fully adjustable Koni's I would expect that you would have to contact Koni direct and tell them what you want.
So far as I know they only make the rebound adjustables for off the shelf.
It sounds like you're getting the adjustment the wrong way round. If you adjust the rebound so it's really slow extending... thats the hard setting.
The soft setting would be quicker in rebound.
Always go 1/4 turns in adjustment.
MG

chigger
December 24th 2002, 02:55
Koni has a really good article on how to adjust their shocks on their web site. WWW.shox.com quoted me $245 for four bilsteins for a bug and they said they didn't carry Konis for a bug. The best price I have seen for the Konis is $125 each. If anyone know where I can get them cheaper please tell me.

Tim
December 24th 2002, 09:03
CSP is selling Koni red at Euro78 each. If you are living outside EC, you can deduct VAT but you need to add shipping.
Have any one try Koni 30 series mono tube shock? The price is US$99.95 each from www.pitstopusa.com/KON30SERIES.asp
Looks good for racing.
Tim

lightning bug
December 24th 2002, 14:53
Try: www.classicgarage.com for Konis. I got my '74 inserts there. Call 'em if you don't see it.

wallace lee
December 24th 2002, 21:56
lightning bug, the part number you gave me are for Koni Reds...(street Special)

Koni also has the Yellow (street sport)....same number but with Sport at the end of each part number....surprisingly they don't have any for the front suspension

Anyone uses these b4? Most Beetles I see runs the Reds....

SilverBullet
December 25th 2002, 11:56
Hi Wallace, its Richard, do you need the shocks now? If you can wait, come down to Singapore and get them, the pricing here for konis are good. I can find out the price for you if you have the p/no.:)

lightning bug
December 26th 2002, 15:00
You can't use the sports on the rear nor on the front non-super either. For the Super they aren't available. The sports are externally adjustable.