PDA

View Full Version : Battery Relocation

vujade
December 21st 2002, 13:21
I am about to embark on moving my battery from under the seat of my 1302 to in the front right about the spacesaver tire I just bought.

I just got back from an aluminum fabrication shop that is going to make me a setup that includes a rear bracket to mount right below the gas tank & then another 8 inches out in between the fender wells. Then I will have two small brackets that I will mount inbetween the 2 long brackets, this will allow me adjustability for the width of the battery. This whole setup will be mounted 3" above the space saver inorder to allow me to remove the tire.

My question are as follows:

Has anyone else done this kind of setup?
How do you like it?

Also are there any concerns with mounting the battery aboce the tire this close to the gas tank?
Please let me know....

thanks
Joe

kdanie
December 21st 2002, 14:15
I can think of 2 dangers, corrosion and sparks from a short. With good installation and maintainance, neither are a real problem. It sounds like your battery will be mounted fairly high, not what you really want if you are trying to improve handling, low in the center and behind the front spindles is best. I am still thinking about moving the battery on my '68 std. but haven't really sat down to look at the options yet.
ken

vujade
December 21st 2002, 14:31
it will be fairly high, but not any higher then a new car, probably even lower then that...

The reason to mount it this way is to allow a spare space saver tire to be used up front & not in the rear....want to keep all the weight up front that I can...

I have a pic of a standard with a nice batttery install up front for you....

lightning bug
December 21st 2002, 18:27
That is a nice install. You could get a battery box also to eliminate the danger of a spark, if you can fit it.

kdanie
December 22nd 2002, 02:58
That is a nice installation, I am thinking of a small "Optima" sealed type battery under the gas tank, next to the frame head on the passenger side, if there is room. I have a 4.5" Porsche wheel for a spare I would like to use but a space saver is also a good idea.
ken

vwfan53
December 23rd 2002, 10:26
Wow, that is a nice install in the spare well. At a minimum I would take some duct tape (in a matching color) and tape off/around the POSITIVE cable end. This is an old racer trick / mandate for safety.

What gauge cable are you running back to the starter?

Again, nice install!

-Paul
63 Bug

vujade
December 23rd 2002, 12:03
just so you know, thats not my install, I just posted it to show what is possible. That pic is in a standard beetle, I am doing it in a Super. I will be using 4 guage cable for the positive wire back to the starter.

vujade
January 13th 2003, 15:31
here (http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1164&highlight=battery)

Jim Long
January 13th 2003, 15:53
If I understand you correctly, the new battery location you discribe for your car, pretty much discribes the stock location for the battery in my 912. The only "problem" I am aware of is corrosion, and that really isn't a location problem.

Wally
January 14th 2003, 06:31
Joe,
Just read your thread. Nice job.
Since in the original thread you asked peoples experiences with this, here's mine:
I have welded rectangular (1,5 mm zincor steel) corners left and right in the (former round) spare wheel area, just in front/under the gas tank, where I have relocated the battery to in my 03, while restoration was done. Have put the battery at the opposite side of the drivers site, to balance the driver weigth. Its just under the wiperfluid can, so to speak I have never used the spare, so I left it out altogether!
At the other side (corner) I've mounted the fuel pump and was thinking of installing the ABS there, since the 944 T brakes, I used had full ABS braking. Decided not to go that route (yet).
The whole install works fine for me and still think it was a great way to improve handling. Cannot compare to before though, since I didn't drive the car before rustoration.
How does 2 ga relate to mm˛? (I used two 6 mm˛ cables).
Walter