PDA

View Full Version : G50 porsche box? 5 or 6 speed?

marco the T.S.E
December 22nd 2002, 14:39
Im in the process of buillding a new floor pan for my bug, as the T1 Erco box(swing axel) that my pan was build around is just not up to the hammering that i give it(to much power for the ring/pinion)!
so im thinking of a G50 box, I have a compleat rear suspention, brakes and axels of a 996(new 911)porsche, that im going to graft into the bug pan.

Im looking for info on the G50 box and different versions and witch cars thay came from.

thanks for any info/ web sites .

airwerks
December 23rd 2002, 23:13
All i know is that they are much bigger than a 901 box. There was a pretty detailed article on a silver oval in Volksworld about a guy that did the swap. Mag was a while back, but worth finding/ that car is the baddest VW on the face of the earth. :eek:

If I remember right, it was a turbo'd type 4.

Damn, now I want to find that issue again, I'll let you know what month if i can find it(a friend had it)

ricola
December 24th 2002, 05:59
I'm sure Marco knows of Mark Thurston's Oval already. There are some more pics of it in the members section of www.lbc2.com

That sounds like a hell of a project Marco! Do you have any pics?

Rich

Michael Ghia
December 24th 2002, 20:17
G50 gearboxes...
The first G50 arrived in 1987 in the 911 3.2 Carerra. It was used throughout the 964 911 including the Turbo (965).
The G64 I think (I need to check up on this) is the 4x4 gearbox, the G50 is the C2 box and the G50/50 is the Turbo box which can handle 800bhp as standard.
They are huge! Mark Thruston cut out the centre section of the torsion bar tube housing just to get it into the chassis.
Kennedy Engineering should (again I would have to check up on this) make a conversion kit so you can use the gearbox with whatever engine you like.
If you don't intend on putting more than 350bhp through the car... I would stick with a 915 trans... just my opinion. :)

If anyone has more info and I've got some of it wrong... sorry :)

MG

typ4boy
January 9th 2003, 22:08
the g50 to go for is a short nose which are difficult to find as 915 3.2 carrera owners are always calling me for them to uprate there 915,s, look to pay around £1000 to £3000 for a low milage unit, and speak to mark as he is the man when it comes to fitting these in bug pans. he now works for taylor machine so here is on the other end of a phone during most days they advertize in volksworld,iam with mike ive done several 901,s and 915,s and considered a g50 for my latest GL car but went back to a late 915 as the cost of a good g50 and all the hassle is just not worth it, but dont let me put you off. another way would be to use an early 3.0L turbo box they are 4speed with very long ratios, which with any high performance vw flat 4 realy come in to there own and you could probably use the vw shift rod and gearstick .regards Lee.