PDA

View Full Version : 968 brakes

toddygates
January 22nd 2010, 22:50
found these on the net
alot of work to fit?

Porsche 968 items... Front struts, hubs, stub axles, discs, calipers etc Rear trailing arms with drive flanges, hubs, discs, calipers etc.
both 4 pot(piston calipers)?

dub_crazee
January 24th 2010, 09:03
what car? looking at your pic a 1303 - Rear IRS should bolt on - but will widen your track over stock.

Front i havnt done personally but i have read that its not too dificult, products are available to help fitment.

evilC
January 25th 2010, 08:29
found these on the net
alot of work to fit?

Porsche 968 items... Front struts, hubs, stub axles, discs, calipers etc Rear trailing arms with drive flanges, hubs, discs, calipers etc.
both 4 pot(piston calipers)?

Are the front struts the same as the 944/924S ones? If so I have fitted them to our 1303 complete. Its not difficult:

1) The bottom track control arm will need the kersher press in ball joint. Or, as I did fabricate a new TCA to bolt the standard porsche ball joint in as it will make replacement easier later on.

2) The hub steering arm will require drilling out and a bush inserting to be able to locate the steering rod ball joint on the top of the arm. I understand that the standard camber nuts of a ball joint front are used, I had our bushes machined.

3) I fitted the top mount off the porsche strut as it was a 4 bolt item and the rubber was stiffer than the beetle one. That meant drilling two holes for fixing

4) I also lowered the front by fitting 40mm lowering springs and dampers from Spax. Don't be tempted to use the porsche springs and dampers as they are too heavy rated. You can transfer the beetle bits if you want to retain a relatively soft ride with the standard ride height. if you lower the front you ought to flip the anti-roll bar over to allow the bar to enter the TCA at a more favourable angle.

5) I doubt that the 968 LH spindle is drilled for the speedo cable. If you use the beetle cable then get the spindle drilled or use an early 944/924S spindle. I have heard that the ABS position can be used to provide a signal for an electronic speedo.

I hope that helps a bit

Clive