PDA

View Full Version : My GL 1970 Squareback

vdubzack
January 25th 2010, 23:04
I am the second owner, and have had Helga,(What! Nobody else have named a car?) for 20 years. Once my daily driver, but been in hibernation since 2000. Time to do her right. Engine is 1800cc type 4. Old school Truehaft cam and Eaton two piece lightweight lifters. Stock Pistons and barrels. New old stock heads with three angle grind and mild port and polish. Original California High dessert car so no rust through.Will be doing mock up for engine mount for the type four fitment. Also will be puting to use my new soda blaster to take her down to base metal. More updates as I go along. Sorry for the messy garage pics. Trying to move stuff around.

TSAF
January 26th 2010, 04:51
Nice project. A few years ago while I was living in England I was fortunate enough to see a very special car. A car almost like yours. I will post a few photos + technical data in order for you to take a look. This is a true GERMAN LOOK squareback. What makes it stand out is the quality of work, the overriding sense of a singular concept and the fact that it's just that little bit different. A normally aspirated 3.6 liter 993 motor which had never been in a car was acquired, a completely standard engine that had only ever been run on the dynamo-meter. This was modified with a Motronic engine management system, six butterfly fuel injection with polished ram pipes, and free-flow, equal length stainless steel race manifolds and acoustic silencer boxes, all of which added up to a very substantial 252bhp, delivered via a six speed 993 gearbox, being recorded at the rear wheels. No exact power figures at the flywheel were available at the time of writing but estimates suggest 325/330bhp - a considerable increase from the standard factory output of 270bhp. To rein in this performance upgraded Porsche brakes with high specification, aluminum six-piston calipers and ventilated discs were fitted, together with a ****pit-mounted front to rear brake balance bar. What the body may lack in external modifications it more than makes up for internally. The front end, with just enough space for an ATL race fuel tank, is indicative of the approach to the whole car. Nothing has been left untouched and nothing is less than fully painted and detailed. What one can't see from the pictures is the incredible detail that's gone into the hidden remote oil tank box or the steel floor pan. While the scratch-made carbon-fiber panel work and seats really catch ones eye - the latter, moulded off an original set of priceless, genuine 1960s Porsche TR factory racing seats are absolute one-offs, along with the only set of carbon fiber Variant bumpers on the planet - there are also the reduced size Porsche 993 gauges, custom-made for the car, the aluminium Jamar pedal box and throttle pedal, and the stainless steel center console with cup holders. In addition there is a Sony sound system with JVC amplifier and JBL speakers. Maybe the above description will help to improve your cars, appearance, power.

vdubzack
January 26th 2010, 07:22
I remember this car! Going in same direction. But not as insane. Stock body and trim better brakes, and turboed 1.8L type four lump.
Will be picking through my Porsche bin for front seats, and modifying the dash to take the full set of silver button 914 gauges that I have. Have a rare speedo with tripmeter. Which has only 75 miles difference on the odometer reading than my square.
Ευχαριστώ TSAF

TSAF
January 26th 2010, 08:47
No worries. Να εισαι καλα vdubzack!!

vdubzack
January 28th 2010, 23:36
Here are a few more pics. The red car in the pic is my 914 Chalon conversion. I built this car in 1984 then sold it. found it recently and got it back. Will be doing a Chevy conversion and Tangerine Racing cage once I finish my Squareback

TSAF
January 29th 2010, 04:07
Nice collection you have there. I am talking about the 911 fan engine up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vdubzack
February 4th 2010, 12:00
That fan is on top of my 2.9L type four mill. Looking for the right car to put it in. I have pics of that build in my gallery

vdubzack
February 6th 2010, 12:58
Project at stand still. Too much snow. Under that mound is a 71 super that is looking for a purpose. More on that build soon come.

MX67
February 6th 2010, 13:59
Pretty digged, huh? I haven't seen so much snow for years here :eek:

vdubzack
February 6th 2010, 18:24
Pretty digged, huh? I haven't seen so much snow for years here :eek:

Already at 1 meter deep

Xellex
February 6th 2010, 18:41
it's the same here also. And everytime we get a warmer day, and the snow starts melting away, it just starts snowing again... It's beautiful and all, but I miss the dry and longer summer days.

TSAF
February 8th 2010, 04:22
Project at stand still. Too much snow. Under that mound is a 71 super that is looking for a purpose. More on that build soon come.

I love snow, I really love it. Now I am extremely jealous. I also own a Defender 90 4.2 V8 which is great for these kind of weather conditions. There is never enough snow in Greece. Let us have some more details about the 2.9 you have standing proudly on the shelf (red arrow).

vdubzack
February 8th 2010, 15:02
I love snow, I really love it. Now I am extremely jealous. I also own a Defender 90 4.2 V8 which is great for these kind of weather conditions. There is never enough snow in Greece. Let us have some more details about the 2.9 you have standing proudly on the shelf (red arrow).
Actually 2854cc's Was built by me, to be put in my 74 super but too many other things got in the way. Plus, someone paid me a lot to sell the car to them.:) The crank was a German NOS two liter crank that was stroked and blanced by a friend who happens to own DPR machining. They make the best stroker cranks (IMO!) 84mm stroke with Chevy journals 5.5 Carrilo rods with 22mm pin. Billet straight cut cam gears. Fat performance cam. Forged Keith Black pistons with Grant rings. Was going to go smaller and turbo but needed to divert funds to my squareback. Plus I had most of the parts for the build already. Case cut by Rimco for 930 fan and aso did the bor for the larger pistons and some stroke clearancing.

vdubzack
February 9th 2010, 19:27
this is how mush work I had to do just to get to the garage:mad:

NO_H2O
February 9th 2010, 21:12
Damn that is some deep a$$ snow. Now I know why I moved from Ohio and have lived in GA. for 20+ years. That damn glogal warming is a beatch. Maybe All Gore will come over and help you shovel your way to the shop.

Clatter
February 10th 2010, 02:50
Dag! you gotta throw that big motor in the square!

Put a stock fan on it, and....

vdubzack
February 10th 2010, 14:11
Damn that is some deep a$$ snow. Now I know why I moved from Ohio and have lived in GA. for 20+ years. That damn glogal warming is a beatch. Maybe All Gore will come over and help you shovel your way to the shop.My friend in Switzerland said his flowers are starting to bud out. So i guess there is some good and bad to this global warming ****e.

vdubzack
February 10th 2010, 14:14
Dag! you gotta throw that big motor in the square!

Put a stock fan on it, and....

Saddle already cut for the 911 fan:( plus i plan on driving it almost daily. and need some gas milage.

vdubzack
March 26th 2010, 07:20
Well back to work on Helga. I have to remove at least nine(9), Yes, nine coats of paint. Seems that the original owners grandson, who I got the car from, repainted the car every few months

NO_H2O
March 26th 2010, 07:43
Damn. You might have to reset your ride hight after you get it all off. LOL

TSAF
March 26th 2010, 09:37
It seems that you have a lot of work ahead of you.

vdubzack
March 28th 2010, 14:19
It seems that you have a lot of work ahead of you.

found some rust too:(. But not too much. Already cut out most of it to replace with new metal. But overall she is clean. Most of the original paint below the bead line.

vdubzack
March 28th 2010, 14:43
A few more of my Baby:o

vdubzack
March 28th 2010, 14:46
Damn. You might have to reset your ride hight after you get it all off. LOL

I am stripping her on a plastic sheet so I can weigh it after I'm done. So far I am at 1.25 pounds

vdubzack
June 12th 2010, 15:42
Doing some more things to my Squareback. Have been mocking up the engine bay for the type 4 power. A little work on the mess that is the new wiring harness. Have set up appointment to have her soda blasted, as there is too much paint to sand her manually. Still loking for a Sept unvailing so I need to pick up the pace.

vdubzack
August 30th 2010, 06:42
Well after a CRAZY few months back to work on my Squareback. Missed the guy to soda blast her so waiting for the next oppening. He is not to close to my shop (About 150 Km )so I have to plan the trip when I can. In the mean time I have been doing inventory on the parts to see what's left in the budget. Right now I am looking for a Momo steering wheel adaptor for VW. So if anyone comes across one in thier travel. Let me know. Decided to go with a big type three sytlee engine. 90.5 x 82. Sold the type four engine to a friend. I had 90% of the parts for the engine ( At my wifes request to clean out the storage) I found the remains of an old engine project. Got the crank and rods from a guy in Fla.while on holiday with the kids last summer.

vdubzack
September 22nd 2011, 21:34
Slow progress is still progress! Back to working on my Square. I've got all four fenders and the hood stripped. Engine finished. Will be painting engine bay, and engine install this weekend. 2110 hydraulic with dual 44 real deal Webers. Modified enggine tins as I will not be using the stock oil cooler.

vdubzack
September 22nd 2011, 21:40
Will be using a oil cooler from a 04 AMG benz. It has a fan and temp gauge built in it. Will be modifing the dash to fit Porsche 914 silver button gauges.

Supa Ninja
September 25th 2011, 22:21
Awesome dude, can't wait to see this thing finished.

vdubzack
October 2nd 2011, 20:24
Slow progress is still progress! Back to working on my Square. I've got all four fenders and the hood stripped. Engine finished. Will be painting engine bay, and engine install this weekend. 2110 hydraulic with dual 44 reaql deal Webers. Modified engine tins as I will not be using the stock oil cooler.

If anyone is wondering, I used POR-20 on the exhaust. Looks great and cheaper than sending out to get coated. If it is as tough as the POR15 i put on the pan , it should work great.

TSAF
October 3rd 2011, 03:01
Well after a CRAZY few months back to work on my Squareback. Missed the guy to soda blast her so waiting for the next oppening. He is not to close to my shop (About 150 Km )so I have to plan the trip when I can. In the mean time I have been doing inventory on the parts to see what's left in the budget. Right now I am looking for a Momo steering wheel adaptor for VW. So if anyone comes across one in thier travel. Let me know. Decided to go with a big type three sytlee engine. 90.5 x 82. Sold the type four engine to a friend. I had 90% of the parts for the engine ( At my wifes request to clean out the storage) I found the remains of an old engine project. Got the crank and rods from a guy in Fla.while on holiday with the kids last summer.

Why have you sold the type iv? Change of plans or because of the financial situation in general

vdubzack
October 11th 2011, 07:00
Sold the engine, as a friend needed one for his daily to get to work. Still have the 2.8 liter short block. Dealing with scammers on that one. Looking for a good super to put that one in.

vdubzack
December 17th 2011, 19:26
Back to work. Found a 1972 Beetle in Excelent condition (for a east coast car) for $900 sent my 944NA hubs to Lanner for machining and one of his kits for ball joint beetle. So i will finally put the big type four lump in a car. Finished building my engine for the Squareback coated the exhaust and installed it. Badly damaged one of my 44's so waiting for the replacement so I can fire it up.

Humble
December 20th 2011, 18:04
Sounds like 2 steps forward, 1 step back, keep the updates coming :)

vdubzack
December 27th 2011, 19:15
Trouble loading pictures of engine But recieved the replacement 44 and in the process of exchanging the jets to match the other one. Plumbing my oil lines, as I have done away with the stock type 3 oil cooler and modified the shroud for better cooling over #3 piston.