PDA

View Full Version : What is the optimum width wheel / tyre on a 1302?

giraffeinbath
January 31st 2010, 05:46
Hi, this is my first thread on here so hello to all :)

This question may seem a little too simplistic but I'm contemplating what route I may go down with wheels and I thought the starting point should be understanding what size would work best before getting into the technicalities (and difficulties!) of making a chosen wheel fit.

So.....with the clearance and fitment issues aside, is it possible to have wheels / tyres which would be too wide on a 1302s bug?

ie, is it possible to get to the point at which fitting wider wheels / tyres is actually detrimental to the handling of the car, and if so what would the optimum width be?

STIDUB
January 31st 2010, 21:23
all depends heavily on your suspension & brake setup really, but most seem to run around 7" wide, ive got a choice of a few between 15x7 & 17x8 on mine so will see what works & what doesnt for myself when its up & running :D

evilC
February 1st 2010, 04:59
It very much depends on the rest of the spec. There is always a tendance to over tyre any vehicle and very often the choice is little more than based on aesthetics. Some years ago there was a magazine article in the UK comparing the quickness of a 'S' model Ford Fiesta on the 'wide' 185/60x13 and the 'narrow' 155x13. The narrow tyres were significantly quicker on a long twisty section of road - it was a case of too much tyre scrubbing off speed.

The general rules(ish) that I apply is 155 width for standard power, 195 width for 100bhp, 205 for 150bhp and 225 for above that. Of course this is all modified when you are looking at front or rear on a bug and valso the tyre performance. A tyre built for economy will require a wider width that a sticky performance tyre to acheive similar grip levels.

Clive

giraffeinbath
February 3rd 2010, 14:45
The general rules(ish) that I apply is 155 width for standard power, 195 width for 100bhp, 205 for 150bhp and 225 for above that. Of course this is all modified when you are looking at front or rear on a bug and valso the tyre performance. A tyre built for economy will require a wider width that a sticky performance tyre to acheive similar grip levels.

Clive

Cool, that makes sense.

volkdent
February 3rd 2010, 18:04
It very much depends on the rest of the spec. There is always a tendance to over tyre any vehicle and very often the choice is little more than based on aesthetics. Some years ago there was a magazine article in the UK comparing the quickness of a 'S' model Ford Fiesta on the 'wide' 185/60x13 and the 'narrow' 155x13. The narrow tyres were significantly quicker on a long twisty section of road - it was a case of too much tyre scrubbing off speed.

Clive

Excellent reply!

Jason

evilC
February 4th 2010, 09:58
Excellent reply!

Jason

Thank you Jason. Its the politican in me that manages to say a lot but little of real substance and nothing that you are liable for later!:lmao:

Steve C
February 4th 2010, 17:14
Hi

Great reply as usual Clive, to me its about the look as well, so 7x17s with 215/45s are maybe too much for my daily/sons car, but I like the look.

Steve