PDA

View Full Version : what brakes should i get?

factman
December 26th 2002, 03:42
i am very new at looking for porsche disc brakes to use on my '70 std bug. so what should i use if i would like a good brake that wouldn't fade but rarely used in a accel-brake-accel-brake type of manner? i dont know if im on dope or not but is it possible for me do a conversion for front and back for under 1000-1400 US? i do have tools to do a lot of the work myself and can do soe fabrication work if needed. i was looking at the CSP vented ones for the front and wandering if these would do and then something like a 914 or 944 rear disc? please speak your opinion. thank you. sam

vujade
December 26th 2002, 10:34
yes I think you could do a converion for that price according to the research I have done so far. I have not done the conversion yet to my car, but it looks like it is feasible.

Here are some prices I have found

$240 - 911 crossed drilled rotors (set of 4 new)
$300-$600 4 piston 944 turbo cailpers (set of 4 used)

So as long as you dont go overboard, you could probably do it for less then a thousand. Especially if you can fabribate your caliper adapters.

factman
December 26th 2002, 20:49
what about the hubs and spindles? i will be starting from scratch on this. right now i still have all drum brakes. how hard is fabricating a caliper bracket and what material should it be made out of? thanks

kdanie
December 27th 2002, 02:24
I did my early 944 disks for about $600.....thats front and rear, including caliper kits from pelican parts and new braided hoses from CSP, new hard lines from SoCal Import parts. I did not use the 944 emergency brakes, they were too rusty. The pads that came with the calipers are semi-metalic and like new. I made my own bearing adapters, paid a machinist for the seal adapters. Hunt ebay and pelican parts for deals, you may have to have some patience to get the good deals.
My cost does not include the $200 for the CB dropped spindles so for a total of $800, I lowered the nose 2.5" and have brakes that should be more than adaquate for anything I can throw at them.
If you go with Porsche brakes, add the cost of the Porsche wheels you choose and tires to match....
Damn, it adds up fast!!
ken