PDA

View Full Version : Bus Shopping List - not for the faint of $

Pillow
December 26th 2002, 18:26
This post falls into a number of categories but I justshoved it here. But it will cover brakes, wheels, and trannys... For a '66 Bus. Let me repeat that BUS BUS BUS. So no Beetle rules apply here.

The front has been converted to 944 brakes with an Old Speed kit. Here are the details and other details to the conversion:

Front early 944 conversion kit from Old Speed:
-2 Beetle disc brake hoses $20
-2 Modified grease caps $40
-2 Bearing spacers $75
-2 Caliper mounts $150

-Used early 944 brakes from a private seller $125
-Used set of front early 944 calipers $40
-Used alloy lug nuts 10 $15

Pelican Parts:
-New Zimmerman solid rotors $100
-944 Bearing Outer 2 $18 PN K-059-065-00
-944 Bearing Inner 2-$18 PN K-059-098-00
-944 Grease seals 2 $14 PN 477-405-641
-944 Caliper Rebuild Kit 2 $22

Other:
-Baywindow Bus master cylinder $20
-MC adatper kit from Wolfgang Int $40
-Bilstein shocks $140ish (not done yet)

Misc:
-Loc-tite for the caliper bolts $5?
-Brake fluid $5?
-Shop installing the new bearings and spacer $60

Okay that was easy, but still pricey... No one add this up as I am afraid to look myself :(

Now we move onto the rear end. This time adding an IRS rear suspension and 944 brake system.

Old Speed IRS kit:
-SAW long axles $100
-Custom spring plates $75
-Weld in control arm mounts $75
?-Rear brake hoses $20
* the prices are guesses, but about $250 for the kit.

Early 944 brakes:
-Used rear 944 components $100
-Short wheel studs 10 $25 E-barf
-Pressing out the old studs and mounting the new ones ?$60?

Pelican:
-Rear Caliper rebuild kit 2 $30
-Emergency brake shoe only 1 needed $25
-Bleeder screws 2 needed $16
-Bleeder rubber caps 2 $8
-Stub axle grease seals ? (I want German 944 not the Beetle units - there is a difference)

PAP Parts:
-Rear rotors pair $140
-Swepco 201 tranny fluid $50 gallon

Junk Yard:
-IRS control arms $25ish
-SuperBeetle IRS tranny $50
-IRS Beetle CVs and axles $25ish

Local VW FLAPS:
?-CVs if needed 4 ?
-IRS axle boots EMPI made in USA and grease $60ish
?-Axle bearings if needed ?

Rocky Mountain Motorworks:
-Blue uethane bushings if needed.

Other:
-Rear Bilstein shocks $140
-944 ATE Master Cylinder $100 (not Girling)

Misc:
-Loc-tite for caliper bolts (paid for above the stuff lasts forever)
-Brake Fluid $5

Rear swaybar:
-Mounts Automotion $80
-Bar 18mm 944 $30ish on gar-bay

And even this is assuming a lot. The swaybar is the last thing on my mind so details on that later.

As you all can see the conversion process is detailed and a serious investment in time and money. And a sickness.

So to the other members out there already through the whole deal, my hats off to you all... It is a bitch of time and $.

Take Care,

zen
December 27th 2002, 00:15
now this is the kind of information i like to see. really lets everyone know what they might be in for. thanks for the info...even if it is for a bus. ;)

if you aren't doing anything saturday, wife and kids are gone so i will hopefully be replacing the rings and putting the heads back on this TIV. got my shroud. have to breakdown my carbs too.

Pillow
December 27th 2002, 12:39
Thanks Zen, I agree I wish I had a list like this before I got started.

I forgot about the wheels and tires!

The wheels are a set of 16x6 52.3 offset Porsche flat/disc design from a 924 Turbo (931). $150 on an outrageously good deal.

Still need to get center caps and one more for a spare tire. $100ish

Then add in good tires for 5 wheels... Figure $75+ a tire for some Kumho 712s and now you add $375.

... That is not even including the set of 911 Fuchs I bought and do not like the offset 23mm on the bus! Granted I could sell the wheels for about the same I bought them for so no loss there. Just a waste of time.

... Also I have a spare set of Phone dials 15x7 52.3mm offset which might work as well. Again I can probably come out even when I sell them if need be.

Fun stuff...

Pillow
December 27th 2002, 15:19
Just to add to the horror I ordered the Bilstein shocks today from www.shox.com.

$266 for a set. That includes shipping charges.

Essentailly $61 each which is the best price I have seen.

Fronts PN: B46-0032
Rear PN: B46-0040

Also the Old Speed rear IRS kit contains shock relocation mounts, but uses the stock shocks.

Later,

Panelfantastic
January 7th 2003, 12:19
Just so you don't think you're all alone Pillow.....:D
I'm doing the 4 disc now myself, got the cb/roto kit coming for the rear and hope to order the Oldspeed kit today for the front.
I'm already IRS out back. Can't spring for the nice shocks just yet, gotta stick with my GR2's and of course sway bars are on the list as cash permits. I can take some pics if anybody is interested in anything in particular.
Jeff.

Pillow
January 7th 2003, 12:24
Cool Jeff! Glad to see I am not the only screwball here :) I love custom busses.

If you have time I would really appreciate a picture of the upper shock mounts and control arm weld-in pivot. I know a painful request, but I just want to see where exactly yours are mounted so I can duplicate it if the instructions I get are poor.

Glad to have you aboard! The few, the proud, the GL bussers :)

Thanks,

Panelfantastic
January 7th 2003, 12:44
Will do. Probably today. The IRS was already done by the PO and I think it is a Busboys kit. The mounts aren't welded (yet), has a large band going around the torsion tube and some beefy allen head bolts holding it tight. Gotta read up on how to post pics on here.