PDA

View Full Version : How much bias to set up front to rear?

Jadewombat
June 11th 2010, 09:09
How much do I set up front and rear with the balance bar? Experience with this? These are 924T brakes all around on a '73 1303, stock engine and trans for now.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/jadewombat/S5000220.jpg~original
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/jadewombat/S5000221.jpg~original

volkdent
June 11th 2010, 14:51
Keep doing hard braking, if you have room small curves under heavy braking, and by heavy I mean in and out of lockup or whats called threshold braking. The front should aways break loose first, then keep adjusting till the rear just starts to break loose too, then play around to whatever your comfortable with, some people like less, some more, but what you don't want is the back end to lock up before the front, your rear end will come around very quickly in that mode.

Jason

Jadewombat
June 12th 2010, 23:55
Thanks I'll try that.

evilC
June 14th 2010, 07:41
As Jason says set the balance bar so that you have the front brakes locking up momentarily before the rears. This is the safe way round for highway use and track use. What you don't need is the rear locking up first unless you are proficient at the 'Scandinavian double flick' i.e where the rear slews one and then the other way to induce a pendulum effect to power around tight corners. Having had a Mini with rear brake bias, I can tell you that rear becomes almost uncontrollable if it locks up first, which can be embarassing (or painful) in a panic stop. Locking up the fronts first keeps the car stable although you do lose steering input.

BTW have you tried your pedal arrangement with pads and fluid in? It looks from the photo that the whole system is mounted to the drilled angle that spans across between arches? I think you might find that the angle will twist when you exert 100-150lbs of foot pressure that translates to a torsional thrust of 500-750lbs. If its not braced then try it out with a buddy on the pedal whilst you watch the effect on the assembly. The more solid the mount the greater the feel.

Clive

Jadewombat
June 14th 2010, 14:07
BTW have you tried your pedal arrangement with pads and fluid in? It looks from the photo that the whole system is mounted to the drilled angle that spans across between arches? I think you might find that the angle will twist when you exert 100-150lbs of foot pressure that translates to a torsional thrust of 500-750lbs. If its not braced then try it out with a buddy on the pedal whilst you watch the effect on the assembly. The more solid the mount the greater the feel.

Clive

The rotors and calipers are already in place and the system is bled, goes in about 3/4" then engages. Feels like a Mercedes when you step on the pedal. Very little flex, I had my friend watch. The drivers' side I welded the piss out of with gussets which you can't see in the photo and the mounting points are the stock gas tank holes (wide footprint). It'll be fine.

evilC
June 15th 2010, 07:21
The rotors and calipers are already in place and the system is bled, goes in about 3/4" then engages. Feels like a Mercedes when you step on the pedal. Very little flex, I had my friend watch. The drivers' side I welded the piss out of with gussets which you can't see in the photo and the mounting points are the stock gas tank holes (wide footprint). It'll be fine.

I'm glad you got it sorted. I would like to see the rest of the installation. What size m/cs are you using?

Clive