PDA

View Full Version : CSP cross-drilled rotors

Martice
December 27th 2002, 08:40
Hi,

I just noticed the CSP cross-drilled front rotors.Has anyone ever tryed them?Is there any improvement over stock?
They cost $38 each and they sure look good.

vujade
December 27th 2002, 09:29
doesnt a cross drilled rotor also have to be vented in order to be of any real purpose other then looks?

Martice
December 27th 2002, 09:48
Then they cross-drilled the disks only for the looks?

Farmer
December 27th 2002, 16:44
Martin, the cross drilled "single vented" discs has about 10-15% more stopping power over stock. I hardly use anything else these days on semi fast cars, except on bone stock units.
When I first tried these on my own 73`super beetle I made a comparison out on a very curvy road and next a VERY firm braking from 100 - 0 mph. The difference is really noticeable. - Instead of the normal shiiiiiiit !, I just kept my foot firm on the pedal. The rear drums didīnt even start rumbling until about 45 mph against the normal 60 mph. And the braking distance was at least 10-15 meters shorter.

njv
December 27th 2002, 18:29
hello
i use these they are well worth it stopping is definately improved and they make a cool sound to them as well seem to eat pads a bit quicker than stock i guess thats to be expected .

look nice too.

NYBugman1972
December 27th 2002, 22:45
If it helps any, I have Topline's Drilled and Grooved disks up front. No complaints. Stopping power is better than stock, but I don't know how much.

Heck, increased power or not, I like them!

Oh, Brian (Phat73VW) runs them. Look for him.

Martice
December 28th 2002, 04:26
Are there any other mods that can make better braking power combined with he cross-drilled diks on front?
Talbot Horizon calipers? 911 master cyl? Combined maybe with some rear golf(rabbit) dicks?Thanks!

NYBugman1972
December 28th 2002, 15:48
Get some good brake pads and shoes. I have the stock M/C and it works fine. If you can get a hold of the calipers, do them if you like. I would if I could.

You don't HAVE to jump to rear disks to get improved brakes.

I do think that some good performance pads will help a lot. I know Rocky Mountain Motorworks sells Mintex pads and shoes, but since you're in Romania, look for someone in europe. CSP maybe?

Ron Roberts
December 28th 2002, 18:39
What is it about mintex that is good? I'm looking for good everyday driving improvements for my brakes as well. I dont use them enough to worry about fade, I just want my set up to work at its best.

Thanks
Ron

Martice
December 28th 2002, 19:06
Thanks Mike!

I found some 944 brakes but I am not sure if I can jump into the 944 conversion right now, I need my car on the road asap.

what is about the talbot horizon calipers?i do not know anything about them...could find some here with no problem.why are they better?I belive they are right?

njv
December 28th 2002, 20:47
hello
talbot horizon calipers have bigger pistons and bigger pads so more stopping power.

typ 3 calipers have bigger pistons as well beatle calipers should not be put onto typ 3s

a real good elcheapo set up would be talbot fronts typ 3 rear drums braided lines all round topped of with silicone fluid so you never have to tuch it again .

why silicone well its non hydroscopic and half the problems people have are caused thru rust in the brake systems so if you fit fluid that does not attract water then your system will stay in tip top condition .

it is the water in peoples brake lines that can be a cause of brake fade as it boils under heavy braking .

normal brake fluid should be changed every 2 years!!!

people dont do this end up with water in the system rust things stick you get the picture.

downside to silicone well its damn expensive, and your brake system must be truly truly leak free as this stuff really likes to find its own why out.

bleeding out normal fluid to truly change over to silicone can be a right pain.

ask me how i know.

my sqr with cross drilled fronts good typ 3 calipers properly adjusted typ 3 rear drums stops me just fine anything over this would just be purely for looks !

jm2c

Farmer
December 29th 2002, 06:30
I am not absolutely sure, but I think that the early T3 caliper also has 42 mm. pistons. But if you can get Horizon calipers at a good price, and they fit right over, use them.
(CSP has new calipers that fit beetles w. 42 mm pistons. (I think they are back in stock by now) # 698 461 113BX )
But you will have to do a little modification to the rears or you will experience over braking on the front axle.
Make a plate that has the same with as the original reinforcement in the bakingplate, and put that behind a 19,5 mm. cylinder from a 59-64. Then you have about the same relation between the axles as normal. I have also tried with 22 mm from the front, but that is JUUUST too much, and will reqire a brake regulator to adjust it to be perfect. Because the fine line is sort of between the two.

Martice
December 29th 2002, 07:04
Well, I have some BMW calipers on my front disks right now, I do not know which model and size.
I'll do a search for talbot horizon calipers, found some a while ago, hope they are still there.
I belive that its worth to try the CSP cross-drilled disks and I'll do so.
Thanks guys!

Steve C
December 29th 2002, 07:46
Hi

Pre 72 Type 3 had 42 mm pistons and used the twin pin pads as a 72 Beetle and also had same mounting bolt spacing as a Beetle.

This is the pad type that a 72 bug & early Type 3 had http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/db_15.jpg

This is the 1303 pad http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/db_103.jpg

This is the early Beetle pad http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/db_23.jpg

This is the later Type 3 pad http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/db2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Steve C