PDA

View Full Version : porsche 944

Martice
December 27th 2002, 09:41
Hi,

I just found a '87 944 for parts :D
My bug is '71 1302(superbeetle)
What can I use on my bug from this porsche model?I am only thinking about the seats right now:) .I do not know much about the brake conversion but what else besides the 944 brake parts will I need for this conversion, other parts than the ones that can be manufactured/machined?
I am afraid that the brake conversoin will be to expensive at the end.
I can find easy 1303 suspension parts here.So if I decide to use 944 it will be on 1303 suspension.The machining isn't a problem either.

And what else can I use? Tachometer?speedo? other gauges? any other suspension parts?
thanks for any info on this!

Pillow
December 27th 2002, 12:21
Sweeet!

Here is what I have found good to use:

Front brakes and spindles (for a 1303). Take the whole assembly.

Rear axle... Just yank the whole thing as you need most of it anyway. Easy to drop with three bolts per side then just cut any wires/lines that snag at the end.

This gets you:
Rear brakes complete
Control arms
Torsion bars

Also you could grab the steering wheel if that is something you like.

Seats.

The rest sell for parts.

Hope this kinda helps.

Martice
December 27th 2002, 12:46
Thanks Adrian!

Here is something I am afraid of, If I have all the parts from the 944 and the 1303 suspension, what else do I need?
If I remember well,you have an early 944 brake setup on your bus right?How much did you spend on the other parts(adapters, bearings, etc)
and if you can estimate a cost for the beetle conversion(again, not counting the 944 parts, just the other parts that I might need)
I just don't want to end up with something that I can't afford right now, even if I get the porsche parts at a reasonable price...You know what I am talking about.

Pillow
December 27th 2002, 15:04
See the suspension forum for my rundown of the bus costs.

From what I understand Kercher makes the 1303 ball joint adapters and you are rolling after that! The 1303 has to be the easiest car made to make the conversion from what I can tell.

Also if your bearings are good just reuse them, no worries and saves some $.

Oops forgot the e-brake cable adaptors from CSP? which are cheap and easy as well.

Do it! do it! do it!

Your only holdback might be the wheels, but if you get a whole 94 that is taken care of as well.

Good Luck,

Martice
December 28th 2002, 04:57
Thanks Adrian.

I'll see what prices I can negociate for the brake parts.I'll not buy the whole car as there is no more room :) .I have three beetles around my house right now...

Later,

Philippe
January 2nd 2003, 14:00
Gauges! Get the Gauges!!!

Farmer
January 2nd 2003, 15:37
AND THE REAR SWAY BAR !!!!!!!!!:silly:

Martice
January 5th 2003, 08:03
Hey,
thanks!

I am just wondering if the speedometer would work? :)

Later,

i heart vw
January 6th 2003, 20:34
i have 924 speed o in my 62 and works fine, but a little off but not much...

Martice
January 7th 2003, 14:41
Hi,
I just checked the 944...the front rotors seem pretty worn out, + he is asking $450 for the brakes which is a little too much for my poket right now.So here goes my chance :(
I've had some 40mm adapters for some zender wheels to stock vw pattern anyway so I'll be able to use the wheels :)...

Farmer,
what I would like to ask, can I use the sway-bars on my stock suspension?

Pillow
January 8th 2003, 01:32
From my experiences all the early brake setups I have gotten are worn out for the rotors and pads.

Most of the late 944 stuff is good to go, but the early stuff I just plan to pay for new rotors and caliper rebuilds all the way around... It is amazing how much schniz builds up in the calipers!

$450 seems high to me anyway.

Take Care,
Adrian

chigger
January 9th 2003, 01:44
The rotors for the early 944s run about $50 each at Pelican parts. Turbo rotors about $250 each and then they go up. My buddy who is a professional mechanic I asked about my rotors being out of spec. Minimun spec is .75 inches these were .73 inches. His opinion was that inspite of the massive calipers I have since the car is about 1000lbs lighter in weight there should be no problem and that in fact I will probably never wear them out unless I race alot. I will be monitoring them closely though. They are still heavy. Hope it helps.

Martice
February 3rd 2003, 05:56
Hello again, :D

I just found another Porsche 944, but this one is the Turbo model...Man those brakes are a beauty!
I know that the turbo conversion is harder to do vs the non turbo conversion.Why?..I do not know...
What's involved?
Will the sipndle fit?will I need adapters or different spindle?
I may get the wheels also.But I really need to know whats involved in this conversion!

THANKS!!

Tim
February 3rd 2003, 06:11
Martice,

For the front, if you are installing on the 1302, you don't need the CB spindles but the 944 spindles using the late 1303 control arms with the 17mm balljoints from Kerscher. You need the late 1303 struts but I don't know whether the mounting holes of 944 turbo spindles will fit (early 944 spindles will fit). The whole front brake assemble of the 944 turbo can be retained - 944 wheel bearings, hubs (no need machining and adaptors).

For the rear, I think it is straight forward if you can get as well the 944 turbo control arms, spring plates, maybe the axles and CV joints. I am not sure whether the 944 inner CV joints will fit the beetle output flanges. Maybe you need to change the output flanges.

Tim

Martice
February 3rd 2003, 06:48
So it works! great! I'll move to 1303 suspension in this case, of course.
Do you have any idea about how much the 17mm Kerscher ball joints could cost?
My problem now would be the cost because i do not want to end up spending a small fortune on this conversion...
If i'll buy i'll buy all the brake and suspension parts needed from the 944 also(including rear control arms sway bar etc)Besides that,will I only need early 944 spindles and krescher ball joints and thats it?

Tim
February 3rd 2003, 07:37
I just ordered directly from Kerscher the 17mm balljoint - Euro39.66 per piece (the price shown in the webpage is not update). Just send them an email

Tuning@Kerscher.de

The other part for the front you may consider is the anti pump steering kit because the steering arms of the 944 units are a little bit higher than those of the 1302/03. So you need to modify the 944 steering arms so that the tie rod balljoints go in from the bottom rather than from the top.

For the McPharson struts, you need to get the late 1303 units or buy some aftermarket items such as coilovers from Kerscher. Besides the 944 parts, I think these are the most expensive parts for the conversion. Make sure that the 944 Turbo spindles will fit before you do this (you may need to modify the 944T spindles or the strut mounts).

You need to buy some handbrake adaptors for the 944 brakes from Kerscher as well, or you may fabricate some yourself. I am not sure about the T1 transaxle output flanges for the 944 CVs. You may need to buy some aftermarket T1 output flanges with T2 bolt pattern. I haven't pay too much attention on the handbrake and output flanges because in my case I will not use the handbrake. For the output flanges, I plan to use Quaife LSD with Type 2 output shafts which will readily fit Type 2 flanges and 944 CVs.

You may also consider to change all the bushings to urethane items but these won't cost you much.

Don't forget the late 1303 front control arms and the front swaybar (a stiffer 7/8" swaybar will be good).

Tim

Martice
February 3rd 2003, 09:00
Thanks Tim!

are you doing a porsche brake conversion?

Tim
February 3rd 2003, 09:14
I will do the 944 front spindles and rear ally control arms conversion in my 1303 racer but I have not decided on the brake yet. I may consider Wilwood brake calipers because they are much lighter than the Porsche units - hopefully better for the unsprung weight.

Tim

Martice
February 3rd 2003, 16:08
Well, thanks for the info and good luck!

As for me, I just hope that the guy doesen't want 500$ for the brekes..i'll keep you posted!