PDA

View Full Version : It is high time!

Ron Roberts
December 29th 2002, 12:27
When I think of all the different possibilities to upgrade brakes on a VW I think all of them have 1 thing in common. Too much trouble.

I can go to Europe and find some Talbot Calipers.

Spend forever looking through junk yards fo T3 backing plates. (Who sells them?)

Piece together parts from Porche 944

Sort through all the different views on front and rear balance.

Can someone Paleeeeze manufacture a full system of front and rear vented discs with big calipers that does not increase track, fits the stock wheel, and is balanced for front and rear tires of the same width? I realize discs that fit inside a stock wheel will not look quite as impressive as a larger diameter but with large calipers could still give you alot of no fade braking. This would be a step up from the CB rear dics, which go well with stock front discs.

Ron

BerT3
December 29th 2002, 12:40
Hello,

Don't know if this would be of any help but I have some spare T3 backing plates for sale.

Also have spare T3 hubs (use those in combination with 914 discs and stock T1 calipers) for sale.

Brackets:http://www.classicvw.co.uk/test/parts.html (NOT mine)

This combo does effect the track on a T1. The hubs need to machined down for usage on a T1.

Van der Jeught Bert,
BELGIUM

Ron Roberts
December 29th 2002, 13:51
To be honest, My brake upgrades are down the road a bit. The above post was a response to one of the other threads discussing different options. Also, for years I have been reading up on all the 1 off systems and it just seems it could be simplified.

But, if I still have your attention Bert, are the 914 discs and stock T1 calipers better than stock T1 front discs? (I have a 73 Ghia already with front discs)

Thanks
Ron

BerT3
December 29th 2002, 18:42
Hello,

I would use the discs at the BACK, in combination with stock discs at front.

I think it would be an upgrade. At least you got rid of a lot of seperate parts.

As I have a T3 I am still considering going that route.

Need to sell 2 complete stock T3 rear setups first.
(one set very good used, other set all NOS or OE parts I have left out of a deal: drums, cilinders, shoes, brakelines, ..., all new)

Van der Jeught Bert,
BELGIUM

chigger
December 29th 2002, 23:29
The T3 rear backing plates are hard to find, but I think everything else is for sale from I think California imports parts. It may be the backing plates are the same as a bug. It has been a couple of years since I did mine. I do remember they are wider. It may be the drum, hub, and wheel cylinder are the only differences.
Overall the Porsche brakes are difficult and expensive. They also require Porsche wheels. As you stated it gets real complex real fast, especially if you want them to work. After all the time and energy I have put into my conversion, I think it would be alot cheaper to just buy the setup. At least it would work.
Hope it helps.

BerT3
December 30th 2002, 05:03
Hello,

You're right.

Everything is new for sale except the backing plates.

The gain in using the T3 setup on a T1 is the diametre difference.
T3 brakes are bigger are use bigger 22 mm cilinders.

They WILL increase track !

Van der Jeught Bert,
BELGIUM