PDA

View Full Version : '86 944 T caliper vs. later 944 T caliper

vdubfund
July 28th 2010, 17:20
Hi to all.
Can someone specifically tell me the difference between the '86 only Turbo and and lets says the 944S2 Turbo caliper that has a mount spacing of 3.75"(95mm)
Doesn't the 86 only have a different mount spacing( 3.5"??)

Appreciate the help
Dean

flat
August 12th 2010, 23:30
Dean,
The Turbo front calipers for 944Turbo (and even 964) are basically the same. 86 had slightly smaller piston sizes than the 87+ ones, but the change was minute (2mm per bore) so functionally it makes very little difference unless you are pushing the brake system to its limits, which I doubt you could do in a beam car. All are 94mm centre-to-centre for the attachment bolts.

The rear castings are the same for 944T, 964 and 993, with small cosmetic differences in the face of the caliper (ie, early 944 have raised Porsche letter, late 944 have smooth letters and raised horizontal bars ontop and under the Porsche logo, and 993 were all smooth with Porsche sticker). Same cosmetic changes apply to 944T and 964 fronts, but the 993 are radial mounts. There may have been minute piston diameter changes, but in terms of interchangeability....they are the same.

Front and rear do not interchange because of throat width (front rotors are 28mm, rear 24mm).

Hope that helps, clear as mud? Haha
Lanner

effvee
November 25th 2010, 13:55
"Front and rear do not interchange because of throat width (front rotors are 28mm, rear 24mm)".

Hi, I just bought a set of 944 turbo calipers. It is my hope to somehow morph the larger calipers and only use front caliper on all four wheels. I have noted the 28mm verses the 24mm difference. Can the rotor for the 28mm fronts be modes to fit the rear? My concern is due to having the larger front braking on a lightened weight area? Before I choose to step up the brakin; from the single piston to dual. I adapted the front caliper to the rear, making the braking system the same on all four wheels. However I do not have any of my three cars running as yet. If I recall correctly the 78 911 used pretty much the same caliper on all four wheels. Yes it was a subtle difference in caliper bore. But not like using the front calipers on a none front engine vehicle.

So basicly I need info on if it is possible to mod or install a front rotor 28mm on the rear.

thanks

evilC
November 26th 2010, 09:50
The rear disc(rotor) is normally the 944 one with the handbrake drum. I have fitted the 928S4(944T) caliper to the 944 N/A disc that included setting the caliper closer to the axle centreline by 5mm and accepting the reduction in the disc thickness. I also had to shift the caliper over 5mm to centre it on the disc as the 944T disc centre is further inboard.

Clive

effvee
December 6th 2010, 08:10
The rear disc(rotor) is normally the 944 one with the handbrake drum. I have fitted the 928S4(944T) caliper to the 944 N/A disc that included setting the caliper closer to the axle centreline by 5mm and accepting the reduction in the disc thickness. I also had to shift the caliper over 5mm to centre it on the disc as the 944T disc centre is further inboard.

Clive

Do you have any pictures of the rear cailpers set up?