PDA

View Full Version : A different aproach to front Porsche brakes

Steve C
December 30th 2002, 08:58
Hi

I have been doing some thinking since I finished the Porsche brakes on my bug. On the front if I did it again I would go about it another away.

This applies to factory disc brake equiped cars. I would use a stock beetle rotor or drum, remove the braking surface, then use this as a mounting flange for Boxster rotor, use a Boxster caliper, these have a radial mounting bolt, have a square alloy block made up to bolt to the factory caliper mounting points and then the Boxster caliper bolts onto the alloy block. You would get a small track increase using Beetle rotor as thick as the mounting flange and lesser increase using a Beetle drum as they give a smaller track from the factory. The increase in track would only be the thickness of the mounting face on the Boxster rotor x 2.

I dont have any Boxster parts to measure up, Im sure this could be made to work, does anyone have any dimesions of the Boxster rotor? I know they are 298 mm x 24 mm but I dont know the depth of them.

Steve C

vujade
December 30th 2002, 09:14
Steve

this is one of the ways that Jim Andritsakos & I were talking about doing the conversion on my car.

You would get a VW rotor drilled in 5 x 130 pattern, machine it down until it is just a hub. Drill 2 holes in it for the 2 small centering bolts & purchase 2 Porsche rotors & 2 matching calipers.
Now all you would have to do is fabricate a mounting bracket for the caliper.

We are also looking at the possibilty of using 944 Hubs & having them machined to fit VW spindles.

chigger
December 30th 2002, 20:47
Been there done that with a non turbo rotor and caliper. The stock disk rotor is too thin to try this. The CSPs will work fine as they have a much thicker flange. It only increases the track about 3/8 inches. In fact I bought spacers to bring out the front as my wheels have 52mm backspacing. The hubs them selves aren't to bad, but the adapters are alot of work to get right. So far I haven't found the ghia style spindles to be as easy to work with as the drum spindles. The big problem is weight and lots of it. I calculated the total assembly with wheel and tire, lug nuts etc is running around 45 to 50 lbs while the stock drum setup with wheels and tire etc is around 35 lbs. I plan on weighing everything as soon as I have found my scale. I think it is going to be an eye opener. Hope it helps.

Steve C
January 1st 2003, 04:17
Hi

The rotors I used for my conversion already had 5 studs and a thick flange, I bolted 911 rotors to the back of them. I think that the stock 4 suds drums would be pretty thick. In my case the problem with the 944 hubs is the track increase. Using a boxster caliper with radial mount makes the caliper mounting a simple square block like the one below.

Steve C

http://www.mbt-engineering.de/engineering/fsa1/hrrad1.jpg

vujade
January 1st 2003, 10:57
thanks for the info Steve :)

I am still looking into this at the moment.
This way be the way to go.

darren
January 1st 2003, 18:40
You have probably all seen this but

Sounds kinda like the MBT conversion

http://groups.msn.com/monkeyfings/stuff.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=207

MBT (http://www.mbt-engineering.de/engineering/menu_e.htm)

or this one that you may have also seen...

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwAAACIWZyulLiKgspctihUoe4RTuF4acwqiSRHI04xU0388e s50U0dXyGWNHtyTMTw82OctP!0lV9!L*dF3uQ2Ua85wj2hQm5C IIEeKrQc/captureD3.jpg

from VW911 site

Bugzilla (http://community-2.webtv.net/vw911/Porsche2VWBrakes/index.html)

darren

darren
January 1st 2003, 18:45
Ok pics dont want to link, but thats the addresses for them if you want to have a look.

Oh and if anyone has any clues why the pics aren't showing, let me know. :)

darren

chigger
January 1st 2003, 21:22
Humm! Your adapter looks alot like mine. Due to the difference in the parts used and their dimensions it appears the adapters will always look similar, but have slightly different shapes. I hope you had as much fun making it as I did. The hardest part was trying to get measurements off the existing piece. One thing that is nice using the metric system is that most measurements were in whole numbers instead of fractions of a mm etc. 23mm not 23.2mm. Well my front and rear adapters are done and it is time to go on to something else. I wish you luck as I don't particularly want to do it again.

alikatcraig
September 14th 2007, 03:24
You may be interested to know that the Mexican VW factory ended up producing 2 piece Bug front discs! Much easier conversion.

volkdent
September 14th 2007, 20:42
You may be interested to know that the Mexican VW factory ended up producing 2 piece Bug front discs! Much easier conversion.

Pics or link to pics? Never seen them.

Jason

alikatcraig
September 21st 2007, 02:11
I will have a look at my '98 tomorrow (if I remember). If not I will dig out the p/n's. Chris ****s at Small Car in Hesperia should have them.

Typ Vier
September 24th 2007, 22:11
There you go

jamesbissland
September 28th 2007, 17:59
Pacific Customs are selling these for $36US each..
Certainly makes it easier than machining the back off a drum to make a hub!!
Also available in wide 5

Steve C
September 29th 2007, 02:19
Pacific Customs are selling these for $36US each..
Certainly makes it easier than machining the back off a drum to make a hub!!
Also available in wide 5

They look nice and beefy as well.

DORIGTT
September 29th 2007, 07:45

What's the story?

What year Beetle had those? I can contact some people I know at VW in Mexico (I email them weekly for work related things already though they may not know the answer to this question) to see about getting a set:agree:

Wally
September 29th 2007, 09:01
A steel hub is way more heavy than the porsche alu hub is.
Low non-suspended weight all the way for me.

jamesbissland
September 30th 2007, 17:52
for the difference in weight wally, you should just stop eating as many pies :eek:

andy1303
October 1st 2007, 16:17
The interesting thing about this hub is it will allow stock PCD wheels, which the porsche hubs will not.

jamesbissland
October 2nd 2007, 05:22
AND use std bearings, and not have to worry about machining etc etc :agree:

mabbo
January 29th 2008, 10:13
if i used the pacific customs hub, bolted a 944 disk to the back, and used a 944 caliper with caliper bracket... i could use 4x130 vw wheels?

fuzzybear1981
January 29th 2008, 11:34
this is what i was thinking but someone told me that it wouldnt work. I have a set of 5 stud porsche drilled beetle discs that i was going to get machined. What disc will will i be able to use over this hub? will the hub need to be machined down and will a 944T 1986 caliper work?? HELP ME...thanks

DORIGTT
January 29th 2008, 13:58
I would think you would get a disc/rotor that you want to use and have the machine shop 'make it work'.

alikatcraig
April 21st 2008, 00:19
My '98 has them as do later ones, so '98 to 2004 would be a safe bet.

Al

Mr Big
May 1st 2008, 19:57
This is exactly what I've done. I wanted to use Porsche brakes on my bug, but the wheels I have are 5 x 108 pcd. You can't redrill 4 x 130 hubs to run 5 x 108 because the holes interfere, nor can you redrill 5 x 130. So I had to buy blank (vented) discs and turn them down to use as hubs. Then spend a lot of time running through the parts catalogue to find 300mm discs with the same thickness and the right pcd. Loads of fun.

But at least the rear was cheaper......Porsche 924 discs....same as bug ones but with 4 x 108pcd. Redrilled to 5 x 108 and im ready to go.

Next time im using porsche stud pattern!!!!

Steve C
May 31st 2020, 04:53
Hi

Looking for information on Porsche brakes and I came across this old post that I made.

I'm resurrecting the Porsche brakes that I ran on my 1302 and then later on my 1303 for a while for my sons 1303. I've had them converted to 114.3 stud pattern as my son wants to run Jap wheels.

Anyway I did eventually do what I proposed in this post with 944 hubs and an adaptor bracket. 944 grease caps even come with a speedo cable drive hole

Steve

Wally
June 2nd 2020, 15:14
Nice adapters! Who made those?
I run the 944 grease caps as well on the notch: works well with the stock VW speedo indeed!

Steve C
June 3rd 2020, 18:47
Thanks Wally, a friend of mine Dave Stocker from LMS engineering who was a retired tool maker made them for me, he made lots of things for me including all the machine work on my sons oxy boxer, he also built a tube chassis drag car. Sadly he passed away earlier this year with lung complications from our bush fires

Wally
June 7th 2020, 14:20
Thats sad news Steve.. sorry to hear.
Lanner did mine for the notch. CU

effvee
June 7th 2020, 17:48
Hello,
Is Lanner still around? He once had a wed site, does it exists still?

flat
June 7th 2020, 23:00
I'm still kicking! Lol
Lanner
Vdubengineering.com

effvee
June 7th 2020, 23:16
Right on, good to know.

owdlvr
June 8th 2020, 19:56
Whoa. I thought you had disappeared! Would have made my recent brake options significantly easier... :P

H2OSB
June 10th 2020, 23:13
Steve, and you using typical 1303/L bug spindles?

Steve C
June 11th 2020, 21:49
Hi John

The brakes that I have resurrected for my sons bug were on my 1302 and my new 1303 for a while, both were 3 bolt struts. I'm going to fit them now to 2 bolt struts on my sons 1303.

Both cars use factory disc brake stub axles, so the caliper ears are cut off and the dust plate bolt are enlarged to M10.

I also fitted new rotors as I was worried that the excessive cross drilling could crack

Steve