PDA

View Full Version : gas question

kaferchick
December 30th 2002, 10:49
this is kinda a silly question, but I took my jetta to VW and they said (the mech@VWdealer) that there was too much carbon build up from using 93 gas in it which caused the intake hose to come off.
I just built my own engine that finally runs and I know that it is different from an aircooled engine compared to a watercooled one but I don't know what gas to use in it. I don't want to have to take this engine apart again and would like it to live a long time... and I don't know about how much carbon is going to build up with the type of gas I use. I put 93 into it. but very unsure if that's the right thing to do. I have had so many different answers. and the lady at the Gas station said one costs more.
Thanks ya'll even though I know this is silly and quite stupid. :silly: thanks wish ya'll a year full of happiness in 2003~
and many happy Vdub times too love, Mary

yetibone
January 1st 2003, 11:17
Hi Mary
If your engine hasn't been modified, you could use a mid-grade fuel (89 oct). Volkswagens reccomendation is to use at least 91 octane. I have a stock '66 with a 1600 single-port engine and have always used cheap gas in it. My girlfriend has a '71 1302 with an 1835 and two carbs. Her engine has much higher compression than mine, so she has to use 93 octane in hers to keep it from getting spark-knock.

What an octane rating tells you is how the gasoline will burn. The higher the octane rating the slower the burn. Low octane gas doesnt burn as much as it explodes. The explosion can be heard as spark knock. High compression engines use high octane gas because the extra compression makes the air-thus-fuel mixture much more volitile, and will ignite before the spark plug even fires.

As far as carbon goes, I think a nice, fast trip up the highway every week will keep your engine clean inside!

Hope this is some help.

yetibone

kaferchick
January 2nd 2003, 10:13
:cool: Thank you! I needed someone to tell me what I should do. I have a 1600 duel port with baby dels (girl built). I had been using only 93 gas in that engine as well as in my Jetta. I just didnt' want anything to happen to it! Thank you serious for expaining it to me I appreciate it! believe me. I have been driving my bus lil since I got it running, because I didn't want to have to put gas in it untill I was sure. I take my Jetta 2 times a week on the freeway, so I don't know what happened. it's doing the same thing with cheap gas in it like VW told me to do, so it's going back I'm looking forward to my 6 hour wait. I Can't wait untill my bus has all it's small problems fixed so I can drive it everyday and park my Jetta. Thank you! Thank you!
love, Kaferchick

I built my own engine! (girlie built):silly: And asked jake, and kardth many many silly ?'s so thanks to them I can drive it! And it runs! I so love them! not to mention the help I go to get it in my bus.