PDA

View Full Version : pics of a BAS with custom muffler(s)

zen
December 30th 2002, 13:06
anyone have pics of a BAS header with a custom muffler setup? would like to see what some others have done. only one pic in the gallery.

i am also trying to figure out what is going to be the best way to run the pipes with a single muffler but without a 180 turn.

vujade
December 30th 2002, 13:21
why dont you want a 180 turn?

zen
December 30th 2002, 16:33
i guess it has to make one eventually, but their system spreads it out over a several 90s. thought one 180 right at the muffler might be a little restrictive. no?

Sandeep
December 30th 2002, 16:46
Zen,

Here's a pic of the BAS with a muffler, like you describe. I just happened to stumble accross it while looking through some old mags...

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/Exhaust.jpg

It makes a 180 deg turn.... and its on a drag bug. This is nice because then you can put the oil cooler on the other side and not have to worry about the heat getting to the cooler.

One question Zen... looks like the oil filter in stock location will not work with the BAS like in the picture... Whats your solution ?

I'm going to be ordering my oil cooler parts next week so I need to address this.

Sandeep

zen
December 30th 2002, 17:47
i thought it looked like it might work. for the price, i decided to just go ahead and order a blockoff and remote mount. so i will go from the cooler bypass to the filter to a term (which i have already bought) to the cooler (which i don't know what to buy yet, if with a fan, the switch would preceed the cooler) then back.

maybe the 180 is not as bad as i thought. i was thinking of a setup just like this one save maybe using one of the small spin tech mufflers and i need to bring the exit out underneath the apron. i may even add on a momo tip since i am using momo stuff everywhere else, but that is a last thought.

zen
January 4th 2003, 21:14
ok, another angle i would like everyone's thoughts on. what about a BAS header with a LA Performance turbo muffler?

the header in the middle of this image...
http://www.ahnendorp.com/images/kom_fach.jpg

and this muffler...
http://www.laperformance.co.uk/images/Parts/muffler1.gif

the LA muffler is $144US vs. $269 for the BAS Silencer System. has anyone had any experience with the LA's backpressure and sound? other thoughts? looks like LA would have most, if not all, the piping needed.

njv
January 4th 2003, 21:28
hello
if the pipes are the same diameter then this would be good ive not used that silencer but if you had the header going into the muffler then a long tail pipe doing the 180 to the rear that wouldnt be so bad.

as for the noise go to la performance and you can see and here lees car in action should give you a good idear what to expect sounds good if you ask me.

Martice
January 7th 2003, 16:08
Do you guys have any idea how the Straight thru mufflers sound on type-4s??
The LAperformance muffler sure sounds good but its a turbo 'S' muffler not a Straight thru...I see that people do not use this kind of mufflers on aircooled engines why?

zen
January 7th 2003, 18:44
i can't really help there martice. i just don't know enough. based on some advice, i pulled the trigger and got a BAS setup WITH their muffler system. i am told the backpressure from these is really not an issue for my application and it is just that it is very quiet. i may drop a muffler to get a little more noise out of them.

njv
January 7th 2003, 19:43
hello
of the straight thru exhaust systems ive heard in my life fitted to other various makes of car they are loud on a par with a stinger nearly .

ok if you live miles from anybody else in the world but if you got neighbours and dont want relationship with them to turn too sour you need to keep it a bit reasonable especially if you like to tune it 8-) a lot .

why dont aircooled tend to use them add this noise to the fact that our cars a noisyer (sp) than h20 motors and i think it boils down to excessive noise.

one possible way around this would be a straight thru design with two outlets this will reduce volume a bit.

some straight thru exhausts will be quiter than others dependent on the perforations (hole) sizes in the tube as it passes thru the box that has fibre stuffed around it also the type of stuffing and density will play a role .

the loudest will be just pipes with no stuffed boxes passed thru on the way..

im not very tecnical on this subject and boy is it a hot subject .

at the moment i have no problems with a stock bus 2ltr exhaust that has had the flanges where my la performance header joins it opened out to 40 mm.

it is quiet enough unless im on it so that when i go swimming in the mornigs at 6.30 i have had no complaints.

the stock box is just plates with holes in it that pushes the gases from left to right right to left then out .

ive just got hold of another and im going to do a full autopsy on it to get a full understanding of what goes on inside it.

i have thought about drilling the holes in the plates you can see thru the inlets too it out so the gases can short cut the route it must take so to speak.

with this there is no scavenging of the exhaust and as i understand it this can be more imprtant than actuall flow .

at the end of the day we probably are makinhg a lot of compromises .

if i really get in the mood soon i may make my own!

lert us if you try a straight thru how it gos i am interested in this gues if i got one id just have to pull out real slow till im out of my own neighbours ear shot!!

Farmer
January 8th 2003, 19:51
If you plan on just using one muffler, I strongly advise against using straight through types as they are way too loud for every day driving. On T1 & 4īs up to about 140 hp there is no need to go further up than a good 2" expansion muffler. Thrush for one makes a reasonable prices good muffler of that type. I have been using that on f.i. 2 liter buggys w. up to about 130 hp. Of course you can hear it if you floor it, but for everyday driving it works, without the neighbours turning at you.
2 straight through in extension 2" mufflers as f.i. SIMONS, APPLE or similar works great and are my favorite setup, as you can make it almost as silent as a modern car, yet still get THAT sound when you floor it.
It takes a full day for two people to build one like that so it fits perfectly, but it is worth all the work.
Everyone I made one for loves them. I normally use SIMONS mufflers because of easy acces + they are not so big in outer dimensions.

Martice
January 9th 2003, 10:01
What do you mean by using two mufflers?
The way I see it there are two ways: two like the double quiet packs.
or, what I am building, 4>1 header(similar to LAperformance 'green monster' s header) then the pipe will go back sorrounding the engine, first muffler next to the valve cover and second muffler next to the other valve cover and then out....:silly:

Hope you guys understand my explanation...

Farmer
January 18th 2003, 16:21
Originally posted by Martice

or, what I am building, 4>1 header(similar to LAperformance 'green monster' s header) then the pipe will go back sorrounding the engine, first muffler next to the valve cover and second muffler next to the other valve cover and then out....:silly:

Hope you guys understand my explanation...

That was what I meant with 2 straight through mufflers.

zen
January 19th 2003, 13:38
i ended up getting the two muffler BAS setup. someone semi-local had one for sale. i will probably run both of them, but i am a little ways off from having to make that decision. will let all know and of course post pics.

Oliver Knuf
January 21st 2003, 05:54
Leave the first muffler off and make a straight pipe instead of it into the muffler setup. It would be too restrictive! That's all!

Sandeep
April 14th 2003, 15:11
Hi All,

I was looking for a muffler for my BAS 21152 header and I think I found one. Its a Dynomax Super Turbo, Oval 4 1/2" x 9 3/4", casing is 14" long and with outlets, its 15 1/2" long. The inlet/outlet has an I.D of 2 1/4"

The model # is 17675. The cool thing about this muffler is that the inlet and outlet are on the same side, just like a Porsche 993 muffler.

So the idea is to mount the muffler by the right side valve cover (like half the BAS setup). You would then have a pipe about 8"- 9" long from the header into one outlet, and then a pipe about 7"- 8" long as the tailpipe, exiting under the right fender.

http://www.germanlook.com/Images/Final3.jpg

I'm going to the local Dynomax dealer to check it out. Looks like a very simple muffler solution for the BAS header.

Has anyone out there already done this ? Thoughts ?

Sandeep

vujade
April 14th 2003, 17:11
Sandeep, I was just looking at the 993 mufflers earlier today in a magazine and thinking that they may be an alternative also.

Sandeep
April 15th 2003, 09:37
Thats where I got the idea but didn't want to pay the Porsche price. Another alternative is the C5 Corvette muffler. Same idea.

Sandeep

Sandeep
May 12th 2003, 18:09
Ok,

Here is what I ended up with ...Dynomax Super Turbo 2 1/2 " aluminized Corvette muffler Part # 17676 for $54.00 USD.

Muffler sounds AWESOME and you can only hear it when you get on the throttle... sounds very quiet at idle.

http://www.germanlook.com/Images/Muffler1.jpg

http://www.germanlook.com/Images/Muffler2.jpg

http://www.germanlook.com/Images/Muffler3.jpg

I'll get the connections welded up this weekend, as well as a flange, so I can seperate the header and muffler.

Sandeep

Wally
May 13th 2003, 09:13
That looks very good Sandeep! And it probably flows better than the standard BAS muffler det-up: nice. I hope I can find that muffler here as well. Good idea for my 'temporary engine'.
FYI BAS does make a similar set-up for busses. Its not listed on his online catalog tho.
Shame that your header alrady shows signs of corrosion if I see it correctly.
Walter

Sandeep
May 13th 2003, 09:20
Ya, the header has corrosion now :(

I will drive it like this untill the winter when I will have the whole system ceramic coated. The local coater said rust is not a problem.

I think I will choose GOLD :D to be different.

Sandeep

NYBugman1972
May 14th 2003, 18:49
Any hope of a sound/video clip? I'd really like to hear this thing. It certainly looks the business, though :)

Sandeep
May 15th 2003, 09:55
I will try and get a clip ... the muffler is good enough to flow (single muffler) for an engine of 222hp, according to the local dynomax dealer.

Its funny, I don't know if its the angle on the exhaust tip, but I was showing some friends what it sounded like, and I was on a gravel driveway.

When I revved it, I blew a small crater in the gravel right under the tip... you can really feel the BAS Header/Dynomax muffler flow when you put your hand under the tip. :D

Sandeep

jrinlv
May 15th 2003, 16:53
That set-up looks perfect! Now I know what I'm going to do. Thanks for the idea and sharing, it looks great though JR

bren
June 12th 2003, 05:25
Originally posted by Sandeep
Its funny, I don't know if its the angle on the exhaust tip, but I was showing some friends what it sounded like, and I was on a gravel driveway.

When I revved it, I blew a small crater in the gravel right under the tip... you can really feel the BAS Header/Dynomax muffler flow when you put your hand under the tip. :D

LOL! yeah mine does that on my mums driveway, and the gravel isnt exactly small.. mostly one inch pebbles!
oh and have fun burning holes in grassed areas at shows.. an hour after this pic was taken the grass under my tailpipe was either blackened or long gone! ;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid25/pa78d0d931f6404090dfee780ef14ea6a/fd8ea1c5.jpg

theres a downside though.. on dusty roads the tailpipe creates a huge dustcloud that your motor ends up breathing :( for that reason alone i may change to a rear facing tail.

Sandeep
June 12th 2003, 09:38
Bren,

You are right. On a dusty road, you could be idling down the road, and you have this huge dustcloud following you !

In the future, I might get a rearward facing failpipe welded up. After I get my CCC fenders.

Sandeep

paulgrey
November 25th 2003, 03:24
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of designing a new exhaust for my type 4, 2liter (1500) bettle. I have read your comments on this subject and have relised that there is more to it than just bending a bit of pipe. There is a lot of talk about the components that LA Performance have to offer. Does some one have a link for their website?.

I have downloaded the couple of images that are on this link but does anyone have any more pics of different styles of Type 4 exhausts.

The aim is to get as much performance as I can from an exhaust the tucks well up inside the apron as I plan to take an other inch and a half out of the rear suppension.

Regards Paul.

vujade
November 25th 2003, 09:29
LA Performance (http://www.laperformance.co.uk/)

Also check out Turbo Thomas (http://www.turbothomas.com/index.html). He makes some very nice looking T4 exhausts.

factman
November 25th 2003, 19:55
hey sandeep, do you just have your pipe going through the muffler in one direction then through it again in the other direction with a loop pipe in back where i can t see in the photos? thats a good ideas. what size pipe did you run and was it mandrel bent or compression bent? thanks.

SAM

Sandeep
November 25th 2003, 23:48
The muffler is a Dynomax Corvette C5 muffler .. the inlet and outlet are on the same size. No through pipe. Details are in this thread.

Sandeep

Supa Ninja
March 14th 2004, 15:10
I've been doing a little research myself on this subject of what muffler to run. I was leaning to Sandeep's dynomax turbo s muffler with the inlet and outlet on the same side solution, but I want a flow-true muffler. Now I have been running a Magnaflow on the back of my Super since '99 and I am really happy with the performance and the sound. My search lead me to the Magnaflow p/n 14210. It's pretty much the same dimensions as Sandeep's dynomax, but it's flowthru, and stainless steel with welded seams. I wish they had a alumiunized version but if they do I can't find it, and it weights 12lbs. The cost is around $97 USD. I hope this helps someone out a little.

Nick

paulgrey
March 14th 2004, 19:41
I have decided to design my own system, I would like to keep the "stock" apperance i.e. two tips coming out of the rear apron. I thought that the best way to do this would be to come out of the heads and go foward from the motor. Then murge two to one and wrap the exhaust around the engine through in line mufflers and out through the appron. The import thing is to get the right length before the murge... I understand that the length should be determined by the amount of exshust volume in the cylinder e.g. 500cc- the header should be of the right length to take that volume. The only thing I have a question over is the benifit of doing a four to one header over a pair of two to one headers.

davygrvy
August 14th 2004, 12:03
Sandeep,

Your pics aren't showing up in this thread anymore. Are these the correct shots you want displayed here?

http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/BAS1.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/ssyan/BAS2.jpg

kra710
August 19th 2004, 09:11
77 2.0L headers and exhaust. I have a huge section cut out behind the passenger rear wheel, Where the stock battery tray is on my 1977 bus. I was wondering ig the La performance headers could allow me to rig an exhaust up. I dont need the heat exchangers, but I cant seem to find many options. It seems alot more cheaper to rig up a system than use a BAS one. I guess what i really need is a header that will work well, any reccomendations would be great. Im looking for a nice deep tone, doesnt need to be loud loud but id like it reasonably loud when i get on it

zen
August 19th 2004, 12:14
Contact Lee at LA Performance and get his opinion. He is only on here periodically. Be sure to report back so we know. If you have the cash, Tangerine is an option I believe.

Alfito
June 5th 2005, 03:51
Hi everyone,
I have my engine in the shop, and I plan to follow the same way as Sandeep. I have the BAS header, and I will buy the muffler. I tried to see the pics in this thread, but I just got red crosses.
Can I see your pics Sandeep?
Thanks

Alfredo

Steve C
June 5th 2005, 05:55
Hi

Has anyone looked at the Hooker headers aero chamber mufflers, I ran one on my turbo bug and really quiet. Not sure how they would be on a NA car.

Steve