PDA

View Full Version : Berg 5spd or Porsche tranny?

DORIGTT
January 2nd 2003, 14:24
Which is a better set-up; Porsche 5spd or Berg 5speed?

I assume the Berg 5speed requires less work to install.

NYBugman1972
January 2nd 2003, 18:05
From what I gather, the Berg 5 is a great unit. Totally customizable gearing and an LSD option. However, it's expensive and there is modification that has to be done to fit it. The 901 is considerably less expensive (got mine for $250) and it a great way to get a 5th gear if you're not concerned too much with gearing (competition). However, there are a bunch of ratios that the 901 came with and there aren't many with a factory LSD. So, if you want to install custom gears and/or an LSD, you are back in Berg territory. Also, there is still modification to be done to fit it.

I bought a 901 because my father installed one in hig Ghia back in the day (nostalgia + performance) and because it was a good price.

That's the way I see it, but I'm not an expert in trannys by any stretch of the imagination.

kdanie
January 3rd 2003, 01:18
Mike hit it pretty much on the head. The Berg can run as much as $3500 with all the bells and whistles and at that price will be pretty much bullet proof.
901/902s came with lots of different ratios, get the number off the bottom rib of the case, it will be something like 901/??, with that number you can find out the stock ratios that came in the trans. 901s are supposed to be good for over 200 hp if you don't do a lot of standing burnouts, especially without taking the slack out of the gears first. 901s came with 3 different sizes of drive flanges for the axles (type 1 size, type 2/944/181 size and 930 size), be sure you know what you are getting. Drive flanges can be interchanged but can be hard to find by themselves. Mounting a 901 is not that difficult, read the tech article on the GL home page.
ken

Wally
January 4th 2003, 11:41
Don't forget that if your Porsche tranny need a rebuild (most probably do), you will pay a lot for that to.
Also a lot of Porsche 901/911 type tranny's don't shift very smoothly, a Berg will probably shift as well as a bug trans.
A Porsche 915 tranny will shift better, but it also depends on your installation quality and a 915 will need more modifications to install.
IMO it just depends on what you can lay your hands on for a good price and how handy you are yourself.
I got a good deal (almost free) on a 915/12 (a 4-speed). I need the strength mostly, so I'll try to install the 4-speed, untill I fing a good 5-speed 915. Another advantage is that you can use a 228 mm flywheel or 215 mm 914 flywheel without clearancing! and the 911 statermotor is a lot stronger.
Good luck,
Walter

Steve C
January 5th 2003, 02:17
Has anyone heard about these french 5 speeds by DMT?