PDA

View Full Version : Possible Project (Type 181)

oasis
January 11th 2011, 23:50
I was late to the party on buying a standard Beetle and a 1303, now something weird has re-emerged in my mind as a possible project. I know it's off the wall but if the weather clears, there's a Type 181 (Thing, Trekker, Safari, ...) I would like to check out. And, yes, I know I'm posting to the German Look forum. :lmao:

Okay, two simple questions. One deals with handling. One deals with ride height. They're intertwined so I'll explain my desire rather than place a formal question or ten, and leave it open-ended to anyone who would like to respond.

Even if I got a 181, I would want it to handle. I imagine some answers would be the same as my standard Beetle thread and someone else's non-Super thread. However in this case I am not necessarily willing to just lower it and be done with it. If I did, I could ask Mendeola if their set-up would apply to a 181. (They say Type I Ghia at their site, so I can't imagine why not.)

The ideal solution would be some sort of way of having a nice lowered stance for optimum pavement driving like I would be doing most of the time, and being able to raise it on the occasions pavement doesn't work or (like now) we have snow. I know an older Citroën could do such a thing but that model was not exactly sporty in its everyday stance.

Any suggestions?

coolrydes
January 20th 2011, 12:44
I was late to the party on buying a standard Beetle and a 1303, now something weird has re-emerged in my mind as a possible project. I know it's off the wall but if the weather clears, there's a Type 181 (Thing, Trekker, Safari, ...) I would like to check out. And, yes, I know I'm posting to the German Look forum. :lmao:

Okay, two simple questions. One deals with handling. One deals with ride height. They're intertwined so I'll explain my desire rather than place a formal question or ten, and leave it open-ended to anyone who would like to respond.

Even if I got a 181, I would want it to handle. I imagine some answers would be the same as my standard Beetle thread and someone else's non-Super thread. However in this case I am not necessarily willing to just lower it and be done with it. If I did, I could ask Mendeola if their set-up would apply to a 181. (They say Type I Ghia at their site, so I can't imagine why not.)

The ideal solution would be some sort of way of having a nice lowered stance for optimum pavement driving like I would be doing most of the time, and being able to raise it on the occasions pavement doesn't work or (like now) we have snow. I know an older Citroën could do such a thing but that model was not exactly sporty in its everyday stance.

Any suggestions?

Kevin ":Coolrydes" Zagar here from Mendeola. Not sure about fender clearance since we set this up to go under a type 1. But I think the bulkhead is the same. Check out the kit in this forum and let me know if you need more info.
http://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11138&highlight=mendeola

oasis
January 23rd 2011, 04:53
Thanks! :) I have lots of little questions that would be Thing-specific. Your set-up is quite intriguing. The only questions I have for the moment are with reference to installation. How involved is it? Do you do it?

(I am not a DIY'er although I will wade into that arena once we sort out selling/buying houses as our next one will have a garage. The market sucks and nothing is moving.)