PDA

View Full Version : Cracked case!

Supa Ninja
January 3rd 2003, 11:43
First of all I hope all of you'all had Happy Holidays and are going to have the best New Year ever with lots of Brembo Calipers, Cup Turbo Wheels, and Carbon Fibre running boards.
I have been very busy lately and let a oil change go a little too long in my 1641 type 1 motor. I finally got a chance to change it and as soon as I did it started leaking like a stuck pig. It turns out I have a crack in my case from the main bearing all the way to the crank pulley side of the oil cooler base.
Sunday I'm going to pick up another tempory type 1 engine till I put in my 2.0L Type 4. But that conversion has to wait till I finish the deal on a very clean 914 (its going to be my daily driver while I'm GLing my Supa plus I've always wanted a 14, a GL canidate also). Right now the Supa is my only driver and its been that way for the last 2 1/2 years. Ya I know I'm a little crazy but aren't we all?
The bottom line is Jake said it best type 1's are a disposable engine. Its just another reason in my book to justify the conversion.

Nick

vujade
January 3rd 2003, 14:10
this is something that I would like to do also, a GL 914. Its a perfect candidate. T4 motor, 5 speed tranny. Just need some good 17" wheels & upgrade brakes & your halfway there :)

Supa Ninja
January 3rd 2003, 14:15
911 front suspension w/brakes bolts right in and I hear 7" wide rims fit under the fenders without widening them so maybe 7.5"ers will fit.
I won't be fixing up the 14 till my 02 is coming along nicely. I've had the Supa for almost 13yrs and I am quite attached to it.

Nick

lightning bug
January 3rd 2003, 20:05
Originally posted by Supa Ninja
The bottom line is Jake said it best type 1's are a disposable engine. Its just another reason in my book to justify the conversion.

Nick

What's that supposed to mean??

Supa Ninja
January 6th 2003, 11:37
I should have said Jake said it best, Type 1 motors are a disposable motor.

Nick

lightning bug
January 6th 2003, 12:45
But why are T1's 'disposable"?

Supa Ninja
January 6th 2003, 15:20
Lighning bug,
I had just wrote up a long answer to you question but I guess I selected a new tread instead of reply and I don't feel like rewriting again.
I've been running type 1 engines for over 13yrs and I gone through 6-7 stockers and 2 very hot 1641cc's. Most of them blew cause of my lead foot but a couple because they were old and weak.
Im going to "jump on the Type IV bandwagen" cause it apears to be the answer to all my problems; Durable, reliable, availible(I've already got a good used one, possibly another one and I know where I can pick up another one for $200 that runs. Cyrus2Dope just got one from a van-b-q for $167.), and most importantly I hopefully will be able to cruise in the fast lane in 110+ heat.
I know I can look wrong at Type 1 engine and it will blow up so I'm going to try something different. I was going to build a health 1914cc but my biggest fear is looking a couple of thousand dollars pile of scrap parts.

Nick

lightning bug
January 6th 2003, 20:00
Just bustin' your bal$$ dude. I have a T1 and have nothing against a T4. I'd like to build a T4 Bus. I agree T4's are stronger, but I wouldn't call the T1 disposable. I've seen some T1's take a beating and last a long time. Don't forget the air-cooled engine takes ALOT of maintainence like frequent oil changes and valve adjustments. Again, just bustin'