PDA

View Full Version : swingaxle off set

simontwithers
January 6th 2003, 17:39
i am doing my research into off sets before buying my 17inch porsche rims. have read every post on 'offset' rather than asking again, but am finding a lot of conflicting info. i think this is mainly due to the many variations in set ups.

i am looking for someone with experience with fitting 17's to a swingaxle/balljoint bug. i have a standard vw disc set up at the front on a 40mm narrowed beam with drilled porsche pcd and am going for the kersher rear disc setup.

if poss i would like to avoid spacers, or at least minimal spacing.

what off set should i be looking out for to minimise clearance issues with stock wings.

with the kersher rear disc setup are replacment discs availiable when it comes to sevicing them?? otherwise i will have to look for a setup with seperate hubs and discs. any suggestions for a kit that comes with this 2 piece design.

heres the info i collected: (copy and pasted).

Well, a lot of people, like Brian (Phat73vw), have 17x7 wheels, 40 offset and have no problems with fitting at all. No spacers

You will need 17" Cups with the maximum 52ET offset for the front shod with 205/40/17 tyres. It works best with a 2" narrowed beam but is possible with a standard width one by tucking up the lips on the front wings The 52 ET 7.5j 17's fit perfectly under stock arches with stock redrilled drums

basically yes! ive found that ET40 up front and ET30 at the rear suits a balljoint/swingaxle bug perfectly.

The rim on my car (69) is a 17x7 with a 38 offset front and rear. Neither stick out but being that I have a "normal" length beam

I would recommend a 17 x 7 with a et between 40-45 (this should be able to be used without a spacer under stock fenders)

CONCLUSIONS??

cheers.

:silly:

Andy White
January 7th 2003, 07:06
Hello again Simon,

I'd stick with 7.5j 17's with an offset of 52ET. I tried this route on my oval with standard discs on front and a 2" narrowed beam. At least if you feel the need for spacers up front they will be slim and give you a better turning circle.

Same at the rear 7.5j 17's with 52ET fit perfectly under the rear on a swingaxle. You have to clearance the bump stops with an angle grider by the top shock mount. The picture of my car with standard wings in the members galleries was with the same setup before I went with the 944 Turbo brakes.

Check it out and if you like it go that route!

Good Luck.

Andy.

bren
January 7th 2003, 08:51
i'll maintain what i always say.. ET40 up front and ET30 at the rear.. no spacers needed at all..

vujade
January 7th 2003, 09:05
I think that the general consensus is that ET40 is a good offset upfront.

I also think that you could get away with up to an Et45 up front. The reason I say this is I am running 7" wide wheels with a Et55 w/ a 10mm spacer (if you subtract 10 from 55, you get ET45)

I know in the rear, I am also running 7" wide wheels with an ET55 with a 10mm spacer. I could be running a 25 mm spacer in the rear with those ET55 wheels & still be under the rear arches. (so if you subtract 25 from ET55, you get ET30 like Bren said)

I dont think you are getting conflicting input, you are just getting different ways of saying the same thing :)

bren
January 8th 2003, 10:08
Vujades right.. but i would still say that ET40 is as much as you can use up front with balljoint suspension.. hes got a strut front end dont forget, so theres less to foul against.. my turning circle is limited as it is, if you bring the wheel further in, you lose even more turning ability as the rim will foul the trailing arms. ET40 is fine. ...this is with 7j rims of course......

typ4boy
January 15th 2003, 21:28
id like to no weather he has stock strut as he has the spring cup to contend with ,under a stock fender you will struggle to get more than a 6" wide rim anyway let alone the offset, torsion frot end much easyer to get big rims under, my 03 runs 2" overall in diameter L.A.P struts with 7" et 40 993 rim.

simontwithers
January 16th 2003, 05:38
hi my bug is a balljiont front beam so will not have the springs to contend with.

hope this helps