PDA

View Full Version : Brake Hoses Steel Braided

Martice
January 7th 2003, 14:32
Hi guys,

When is this upgrade necessarily?I need some new hoses and I am wondering if its really necessarily and worth the $130 for Brake Hoses Steel Braided on stock disks brakes/rear drums(thats $130 Steel hoses vs $26 normal hoses).
I am gonna follow my friend Farmer advice and go for CSP cross-drilled rotors, Talbot calipers and 19.05mm rear pistons.Thats what I can afford right now + the main reason that I just had some adapters made for some nice zender wheels so I'll 'have' to use the stock pattern for a while... :D

So, should I go for Steel Braided hoses or save the money for some real brakes in the future?(or will I need the steel hoses either way?)
Thanks!

kdanie
January 7th 2003, 15:25
Steel braided hoses are not NEEDED...... They give a firmer pedal feel (not harder pedal feel like a larger MC). I find that modulating the brake pressure is easier with the braided lines. They give faster braking response by eliminateing the "swelling" that rubber hoses go through before actually applying pressure to the brakes.
Personally, I love them. I even use them on my wifes mini van. I'm sure the faster braking response has saved some bent sheetmetal, especially when I lived in Puerto Rico where driving is a full contact sport. As a side note, I have noticed that the faster rise in brake line pressure during fast stops will activate the ABS on the van when the pavement is wet. You will also feel a warped rotor through the pedal, not a problem for me, it just lets me know when the rotors need turned.
ken

Martice
January 7th 2003, 16:33
Thanks Ken! I found them for about $130-$140 a set(4) is this the average price?

kdanie
January 7th 2003, 18:58
I bought mine from CSP (california) for $79, very nice with clear plastic cover to keep the braid clean. They bolt right on, no adapters needed. $130 sounds pretty high to me.
ken

Martice
January 8th 2003, 05:39
Yeah..the same CSP in Germany, sales (probablly) the same hoses, for $139/set(4)...

Well, does anyone know any shop in EU that sales this hoses at a lower price?

Pillow
January 9th 2003, 12:50
The difference might be that the German ones are TUV approved for street use. Most US ones are for "off-road use only" since the cheaper ones will not pass the twist test like rubber ones will.

I recommend knowing exactly what you are buying before paying a premium.

For most cars I just go with rubber lines, but for an extreme car go braided for sure. Depends on your needs.

Steve C
January 10th 2003, 06:32
Hi

Check with your local registration people, they are not allowed to be fitted where I live. I took mine off recently when I fitted my boxster rears and I would have to say that i didnt notice any difference.

Steve C