PDA

View Full Version : Irs Gear Box Output Flanges

GUTTERS
January 7th 2003, 18:36
RIGHT EVERY ONE.

BEEN TRYING TO LOCATE A PAIR OF 181 (THING) CV JOINT DRIVE FLANGES SO THAT I CAN RUN EARLY 944 CV'S BUT CAN NOT FIND A SET.

A MATE SUGGESTED THAT I FIT A SET OF LATE T2 ONES.
MY QUESTION IS
IS THE INTERNAL SPLINES THE SAME IF SO WHAT WOULD STOP ME FROM FITTING THEM ON???...

:confused:

chigger
January 7th 2003, 22:31
I tried it. It won't fit.

Pillow
January 8th 2003, 01:39
Like Chigger said, it will not work.

But EMPI had some listed in the 2002 book. Check that out as repos seem to be becoming popular. Granted for the 930 CV which I think will work fine.

chigger
January 9th 2003, 01:31
One of the offroad orientated companies sells both the bigger stub axles and the transmission flanges. Prowlers has some parts, so does transform, Weddle engineering, Pacific customs unltd, etc. They all advertise in Hot VWs. There may be more, but I am not going to shop for you. LOL
The off road suppliers have all kinds of parts which can be adapted to a GL style car to help it go faster and handle better. For example they use T1 and T4 engines adapted to T1 and T2 trans in alot of offroad cars. If it works who cares where it came from!

Tom Alltypes
January 12th 2003, 11:59
At one time I had a set of side gears in a t1 diff that were splined for t2 flanges. These were made by cutting and splicing together t1 gear to t2 spline. The side covers then had to be machined to accept the t2 seals. This is the strongest set up but also the hardest to get (maybe?) and most expensive. Weddle and Transform (I got mine from Transform 10 years ago?) had them, maybe Erco now, too. Now I run ZFs with 181 flanges. I "may" be able to get you a pair of flanges but it would be like maybe 6 weeks before I would know, my source is on holiday, and just left Friday. I have a couple of sets but they are on tranz.