PDA

View Full Version : Another project I took part of

Xellex
November 20th 2012, 05:36
Hi guys, this is a GL project from a guy in my town, and I think it's worth being here.
It all started a couple of years ago when this guy came to my place wanting to buy the original 1303 disc brake setup I took off my car.
The thing that got me thinking, is that he was driving a CLS 63 AMG Mercedes... so he definately was on the dark side, so I told him I wouldn't sell him those brakes, explaining that it's not what he really needs/wants. Since then we became friends, and I find myself probably more than 2 times a week in his garage.
It's the brown one on the left:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/xellex_anonim/2012-08-02%20Sibiu%20oldies%20meeting%202012/314895_500940796589133_1168970150_n.jpg~original

Steve C
November 20th 2012, 05:48
Hi

Good story, I've met some of my closet friends through VWs, even my wife.

Steve

Xellex
November 20th 2012, 05:48
The quality of the build is simply amazing... I often find myself staring at some random angle on this car, loosing track of time.
I can only wish my car will have the same level of detail work as this one...
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/xellex_anonim/Cata/911kaf.jpg~original

Xellex
November 20th 2012, 05:57
The paint color is original Porsche Cayenne, also the interior leather is from the Porsche catalogue.
The rims are my old ones, re-painted.
It has the 944 suspension and brakes, and we managed to get the ABS system working.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/xellex_anonim/Cata/IMG_1629.jpg~original

Xellex
November 20th 2012, 06:07
Right now it has an 1.6L engine with dual DRLA 40 and an empi dual quiet pack, but we're seriously considering going the Subaru engine+gearbox route.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/xellex_anonim/Cata/IMG_1558.jpg~original

70Turbobug
November 20th 2012, 08:08
Nice!!! Awesome paint! I love the headlights too!

spannermanager
November 20th 2012, 13:35
As above , you guys are turning out some quality builds, i like the wheel arch styling, any more details?

dub_crazee
November 20th 2012, 14:58
That's a great looking beetle, nice work! Any info in the abs?

Xellex
November 20th 2012, 16:18
The fenders are CSP fiberglass widened.
The ABS system is the complete original setup from the same 944 porsche we took all the suspension and brake parts from. One of the guys working at the garage is pretty damn good with electronics and he got it working.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii25/xellex_anonim/Cata/IMG_1598.jpg~original

NO_H2O
November 21st 2012, 08:44
Very nice car.

Bogara_ZO
November 23rd 2012, 08:38
I like the license plate on both cars ;)

SportyBug
November 23rd 2012, 18:13
The ABS system is the complete original setup from the same 944 porsche we took all the suspension and brake parts from. One of the guys working at the garage is pretty damn good with electronics and he got it working.

If you could get a complete how-to write up on how to do a working ABS swap that would make an interesting addition to the ACVW world. Sure, it might not be too popular but it would be great info to have

al_kaholik
November 28th 2012, 12:04
I looked at ABS before but was put off by not knowing enough abuot the system to make an informed decision. I know that it detects wheel spinning but didn't know much more than that and as such abandoned it. I'd think that it could go very wrong if its much more complex than that. I remember a few years back seeing an ABS system fitted in a picture, it was a LHD only part but I can't find the link - I'll have another look perhaps to see.

70Turbobug
November 29th 2012, 17:18
Wheel speed isn't the only input.ABS aren't all the same.It depends on what it all ties into and the vehicle it came out of.Modern ABS systems are part of ESP systems also and there is a whole lot involved there. A "dumb" ABS system just reads wheel speed, pressure applied in master cylinder,some have vehicle weight programmed within their parameters.I personally think a good brake proportioning valve is just as effective and much better on the track than a pre programmed ABS.Nonetheless adapting ABS in a bug is truely awesome and very difficult!

ricola
November 30th 2012, 10:09
I believe Memminger developed a kit for beetles..

spannermanager
November 30th 2012, 13:23
a good brake proportioning valve is just as effective and much better on the track than a pre programmed ABS.Nonetheless adapting ABS in a bug is truely awesome and very difficult!
Definitely, basic ABS is a liability on a race circuit, easily confused by bumps and
wheel waving antics, leaving aside the multi channel F1 systems of course, but for road use, an undoubted plus for a Beetle.:)

subamaniac90
December 26th 2012, 22:15
Hello, what kind of projectors does your friend use?

Xellex
December 28th 2012, 06:25
He took them out of a set of mini cooper headlights if I remember correctly. And used them inside a set of FK golf mk1 clear glass headlights.