PDA

View Full Version : Battery relocation

vujade
January 9th 2003, 17:10
I have begun the battery relocation.

I bought some aluminum 1.5" angle cut to fit between my front wheel wells right above the space saver tire. The tire clears all of the brackets & goes in & out easily.

Next I will purchase the 4 guage cable to run to the starter & the ground so that I can complete the relocation.

I think it looks good & should help with weight distribution too.

vujade
January 9th 2003, 17:22
here is a pic

Supa Ninja
January 9th 2003, 18:14
Joe
Keep us posted on how it works out cause I've been thinking about doing it to my 1302 too.

Nick

vujade
January 9th 2003, 18:43
its going good so far.

the set up is really strong too. seems like it could hold two batteries not problem.

I am trying to make it as clean an install as possible

I will be buying the wire probably this weekend from a marine supply store

kdanie
January 9th 2003, 19:22
Looks good, I didn't realize that a space saver in a super could lay flat..... No such luck in a std.
ken

ricola
January 10th 2003, 04:57
Why not mount it lower to get the CofG down lower fro even better weight distribution! You could hinge it at the back to make sure you can get the wheel out.
Also, I'm sure if you did it out of steel you could tie it in to the structure for extra stiffening... Just an idea... Looks good regardless!

Rich

Chris Percival
January 10th 2003, 05:24
If you turned the wheel over, and got a small battery it would sit in the wheel, then you would just need some kind of strap to hold it all down. That way the battery is forward and low, and with minimal fabrication... vujade's installation looks more pro though..

vujade
January 10th 2003, 11:57
thanks guys for some of the suggestions.

I have thought of alot of putting it the battery in the wheel well to get it lower but, As much as I was concerned about weight distribution I really wanted the mounting to look professionally done. :)

Once it is complete, I will take more pics with the battery installed & the wiring.

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

zen
January 10th 2003, 12:05
looks good. i agree on getting lower when possible. bad part is, if i am already cussing from getting a flat, the last thing i want to do is remove my battery to get to my spare. interesting idea of putting it in the backside of the wheel. could make for interesting mounting. and you could find out at the wrong time that it is leaking, like when you need the spare. :(

vujade
January 12th 2003, 16:59
I went to a marine surplus store yesterday & bought
16 feet of red 2 ga wire & 12 feet of black 2 ga wire
plus about 30 feet of black 5/8" flex tube & all of the connectors to finish the job.

Well it took about 2 hours last nite & another 3 hours today,
but the job is finally done! The hardest part was figuring how to run the wire for the cleanest possible install.

I must say it took a little longer then I thought it would.
It probably would of went alot smoother if the interior of the
car was out of the car. I had to tear up some of my carpet to
run the wire. Oh well, I was planning on redoing the carpet anyways when I paint the car this summer.

I will have pictures later tonite of the completed job.
My batteries in my Digi camera died last nite :(
I have to buy batteries for my Digi Camers today :)

vujade
January 12th 2003, 19:53
here is a pic...:)

vujade
January 12th 2003, 19:55
here is a close up...:)

Alex
January 12th 2003, 20:43
Nice job. Looks great.

Alex

vujade
January 12th 2003, 22:11
:)

zen
January 13th 2003, 09:09
nice job!!!

so where's the tech article :)

vujade
January 13th 2003, 10:09
well I could do a tech article but it would only apply to 1302/1303's for the battery mounting. The wiring should be basically the same for standards too.

Sandeep
January 13th 2003, 14:52
A nice job Joe ! A very professional looking job.

I assume the tech article is coming soon ? :hehehe:

Sandeep

vujade
January 15th 2003, 23:55
I hope to do it soon Sandeep....

I am still working out some wiring issues also.
I am trying to make it explosion proof...:)