PDA

View Full Version : Kamei Fiberglass Mold Available..

Type IV Super
January 11th 2003, 22:19
Now that I have your attention...
I have a story and interesting proposition to anyone out there who knows how to work with fiberglass.
While visiting family in Florida over the holidays, I made a trip down to Dade City to visit a shop called Sunray Bugs.
http://www.sunraybugs.com/old/index.html
I was sort of dissapointed to find out they really did not have much in the way of new parts as I had hoped. They did have over 500 VW bugs and buses on their property but it was not a Pull-A-Part type place. It was like taking a walk through time.
I met the owner, Corky, and he is a very nice old timer VW mechanic. In his day he had 15 technicians on staff full time. Now that things are slow, they have about 3-4. Long story short- just as I was about to leave I saw something that looked like a fiberglass spoiler laying on top of a pile of parts. Corky informed me that at one time his shop use to make custom fiberglass parts and that this is a front air dam spoiler for a beetle. Because it is a positive mold it was hard to tell if it was for standard or Super Beetle. My guess is for the 1302/1303. It has scribe lines for cutting and is a little rough on the edges. It may need some touch up work. And I not sure exactly how it mounts.
Corky and I bartered a little and I bought it.
Now, I have done some reading and research on fiberglass making and I really don't have a lot of time to pursue making mistakes along the way.
If anyone here has some interest in making some spoilers I'll make you a great deal.
Produce a couple of good ones for me to keep and you can have the mold to make as many as you want.
I can email photos on Monday, I left my digital camera at work.
I feel this is great opportunity for someone to make some money and supply a needy market. I not exactly sure its a Kamei copy, but it looks pretty close.
Please post here or drop me an email.
Floyd.