PDA

View Full Version : Germanlook 1302 "Greenie"

Greenman
January 3rd 2018, 08:12
Greetings all from Melbourne Australia.
I'm a long time reader who has finally been able to log in with the help of Jarrod.
To cut a long story short I've owned my 71' 1302 for some 5+ years.
It was purchased as an unfinished project from another VW enthusiast in Sydney and I have slowly transformed it from what was going to be a purpose built track car to a road registered/weekend track toy.
I'm sure a few of the other Aussie members may remember the car.
After many years of hard work, research and influence form a few other members builds on this site my car has slowly evolved into the state it is in today
Here are a few pics from its rebirth with previous owner.

Greenman
January 3rd 2018, 08:17
Further pics of the build from the previous owner
Please excuse the small pics
I'm still learning to post on this site.

Greenman
January 3rd 2018, 08:19
As the car was purchased by me and in transportation to Melbourne.

Greenman
January 3rd 2018, 08:26
I had to make way in the garage so two cars had to go.
Here are some more pics of the car before I started to modify the build.

Greenman
January 3rd 2018, 08:31
My plan was to build a German Look Beetle that could stop, turn and be powered by a Type 4 IDA fed engine.
The car already had a 915 Porsche gearbox installed so the project began.

Greenman
January 3rd 2018, 08:34
Over time I'll update the historical progress of the car.
Feel free to jump onto my webpage to fast forward the progress of the car to the state is in today
www.greenmanvw.com

Flintstones
January 3rd 2018, 09:28
Cool build Greenie.
Looks like it should be hitting the tracks soonish?
Cheers

Steve C
January 3rd 2018, 19:07
Good to see that its in good hands

Greenman
January 4th 2018, 06:39
Cheers guys
Plan was to return it to a street registered weekend track toy
Out came the 6 point welded in Bond roll cage and it was converted to bolt in following CAMS compliance. There's no way I'd get registration with it welded in.
The Porsche 4 & 2 pot Brembos remained but I had the Porsche logo Machined off and had a mate repaint and rebuild them.
All Braided brake lines were removed and replaced with ADR compliant units.
Bilstein Suspension remains but I will be upgrading the rears to adjustable height coilovers when the 944 Turbo rear arms go in together with the Kafer Bar setup from Mendeola.

Greenman
January 4th 2018, 06:48
I've installed Tilton Master Cylinders for Hydraulic Clutch, Front and rear Brakes and a proportioning valve for adjustability.
A Wilwood Slave mounted next to the 915 Gearbox operates the clutch.
Silver Project Camber plates allow for adjustability

Greenman
January 4th 2018, 07:02
Lets just say I have a problem with collecting things......you choose your favourite wheel

Greenman
January 4th 2018, 07:07
Now that I'm on holidays I have loads of time to update the build....and install lots of things that have been lying arround

Greenman
January 4th 2018, 07:19
Type 4 Engine specs include:
Counterweighted 66mm Crank,
Lightened Type 4 Rods with ARP Bolts
103 JE Pots,
European Motorworks Cam,
49.25/38 Valves,
48 IDA Webers,
Bugpak 2 Stage Dry Sump Pump,
BAS Ahnendorp Stainless Headers,
Weltmeister Mini Sump,
Petersen Oil Pressure Valve

The exhaust clears the oil pump quite well without hitting any body parts and allows for great Ground clearance.
I have also installed a remote oil filter and Oil cooler with thermofan under the rear guard.

Greenman
January 4th 2018, 07:27
Kennedy (KEP) were fantastic in supplying the correct Flywheel, Ring Gear, Clutch and Pressure plate
I have also made enquiries with Alex on this forum for his UniBall setup but unfortunately every build has its budget and at this stage I can only afford to make these......for weight saving one day I will purchase a set of Alexs' quality units.
Also borrowed an idea from here to strengthen the front control arms so I made these supports

Greenman
January 4th 2018, 07:35
Because Race car....................

Kamei replica front spoiler, NACA Ducts, Porsche 930 Style rear wing, Fibreglass Bonnet, Fibreglass widened guards fitted with Dzus fittings all for weight saving

rioprelude
January 4th 2018, 15:52
Very nice build!

Jadewombat
January 6th 2018, 11:11
Wow, impressive. Quite a lot of coin in parts there. What happens when the speedometer pegs out at 100 though?? :)

Greenman
January 7th 2018, 06:08
Hi Guys
Thanks for the warm welcome
I spent the other day attempting to install the Stiffy Kafer bar setup, 944 Turbo trailing arms and Bilstein rear coilover
Unfortunately nothing went to plan. The Kafer bar setup won't go in with my current Bilstein shocks... larger 1/2" bolt vs M12, the Bilstein coilovers can't go in with the steel arms and unfortunately I can't install the Turbo arms as Engineering regulations won't allow Street registration with the widened track. So.... they all have to go into storage until I engineer and register the car with the current setup. Ever heard the K.I.S.S principle... Keep It Simple Stupid��
That's what I need to do.
Focussing in finishing the electrics and spraying the rest of the car in preparation for registration��

Steve C
January 11th 2018, 02:36
Hi

I was able to get my car past engineering with 944 alloy arms, I just had use some old Porsche Cayenne wheels that brought the track back close to standard.

Steve

Greenman
January 12th 2018, 05:51
Cheers Steve
Your rims look like 18 * 8 +57
I currently have early twists with an option of 17 * 7 +55 or 17 * 8.5 + 50
Both rims fit under standard width guards. I'm using the guards as a reference to maintain the standard 1352mm rear track measurement plus engineer allowance of extra 25mm
Hopefully an engineer may give a bit of latitude in case I go over
Time to pull the rear end out and see how wide it will be
Any chance you could offer a rear track width of your car including the width and offset of your rims?

Steve C
January 12th 2018, 17:45
Do you have wheel width limit in Victoria? I will check my track but I'm running 10x18 ET 65 now, they fit nice with Aeros. I can measure the track with these wheels

Greenman
January 16th 2018, 01:14
I did a quick measurement today
My track width is 1610mm (with a little too much camber)
That's with running standard steel arms and 17 * 8.5 rims with 225 tyres.
I guess I'm only a little over the standard track so may as well shoot for the stars and install the Turbo arms
Those Aero guards really help to tuck wide track and big boots under the front and back. Did you get them back in the day from Richard or Boris?
I do have some other wide glass guards I can install once the arms are on but may have to drop down to 17 * 7" rear rims to help the cause.

Steve C
January 16th 2018, 03:42
Hi

I measured my rear track, its hard to be accurate as I'm running R spec tyres with an offset centre grove, but taking a guess its about 1350 - 1360. That's with 10x18 ET 65 wheels. Stock track on 72 1302 is 1362 mm and a 71 1302 is 1352 mm.

I bought my Aeros from Boris for this car and my old 1302 as well.

Steve

Steve C
January 16th 2018, 03:55
I guess you have seen this video of your car https://youtu.be/NwQO90GLzgo

Greenman
January 16th 2018, 06:02
Hi Steve
That's an old video.... not much left from that original car:)
I made an error and measured the distance from outside to outside of tyre.... obviously not track width.
Correctly measured with camber adjustment I'd say I will be around 1375 with the 8.5" rims.
We'll see what the Turbo arms do

Steve C
January 16th 2018, 18:52
The original car came from Queensland with a turbo Type 1, then Dieter and his dad put the NA Type 4 in it. What ET are your wheels?

Greenman
January 17th 2018, 05:58
Yes
Had a few dealings with Richard.... hmmm
I can run 17 *7" +55 or 17 * 8.5" +50
I've also spotted some 993 wheels which I'll use an offset calculator to test offset
16 * 7" +50 fronts and 16 * 9" +70 rears
Not sure if they clear brembos either

wrenchnride247
January 20th 2018, 00:16
Yes
Had a few dealings with Richard.... hmmm
I can run 17 *7" +55 or 17 * 8.5" +50
I've also spotted some 993 wheels which I'll use an offset calculator to test offset
16 * 7" +50 fronts and 16 * 9" +70 rears
Not sure if they clear brembos either

993 wheels clear brembos. I have 16x7 and 16x9 set with ally arms and brembos.

Greenman
January 20th 2018, 06:36
993 wheels clear brembos. I have 16x7 and 16x9 set with ally arms and brembos.

Excellent feedback
Thank you for helping
Just need to check regulations on wheel widths for registration now
Cheers
John

Greenman
December 29th 2018, 06:54
This years Christmas present to myself was sending the car off to get painted. All bolt ons including guards, bonnet, engine lid and doors getting sprayed.
Hopefully have some pics up in the next week.

H2OSB
December 29th 2018, 13:49
Greenman--

I would love to get additional details about your front suspension mod. I truely believe isolating the sway bar from the rest of the suspension will make the handling more predictable. I have coil overs based on Porsche 944 housings with Koni inserts from a VW Golf and 125# springs(American measuring method....I think you guys use a different standard).

I too have a Mendeola stuffy kafer cup bar, with Porsche 924, 26mm upgrade torsion bars and Koni shocks.

I'm running a stock 1303 front sway bar and 944 14mm rear bar.

Steve C
January 1st 2019, 18:53
Hi

I was able to fit 15x6 Cookies on my car with Boxster fronts and 944 rears with Boxster calipers

Steve

Bogara_ZO
January 8th 2019, 07:07
Because Race car....................

Kamei replica front spoiler, NACA Ducts, Porsche 930 Style rear wing, Fibreglass Bonnet, Fibreglass widened guards fitted with Dzus fittings all for weight saving

Keep the pictures coming, nice build!

On these older pics can you remember the Wheel/tyre combo?
Thanks

Greenman
January 10th 2019, 06:26
Here's some pics of the car the day it went in to get sprayed

Greenman
January 10th 2019, 06:28
Close up of the muffler setup.
Its quite loud so I will have to modify it to quieten for registration

Greenman
January 10th 2019, 06:32
The assembly process continues.
I've been collecting as many NOS items as possible and finally get the chance to install them.
I tweaked the colour and in person it looks a bit duller in shade.
Hints of Sage Green colour like a 74+ Bus

Greenman
January 10th 2019, 06:38
Keep the pictures coming, nice build!

On these older pics can you remember the Wheel/tyre combo?
Thanks

Hi Bogara_ZO
From memory the rims were 16 * 7" fronts with 205s and the rears were 16 * 8" with 225 tyres with something like a +28 offset