PDA

View Full Version : Pics of your rides?

craigt-from-atl
January 13th 2003, 10:54
You guys have any pics of your rides anywhere? I haven't bought my beetle yet, but I'm definitely going with a Type4 engine, and was looking for some other ideas.

I was originally thinking about making it look mostly stock, with the exception of disc brakes and a slight lowering, so I could really blow people away, but could be persuaded to go GL if I see the right stuff. :D

Sandeep
January 13th 2003, 10:58
Hi,

Go to the main page and you will find the 'Members Rides' section, as well as tech articles and show coverage, and feature articles.

www.germanlook.com and then press 'Enter'

Sandeep

vujade
January 13th 2003, 11:05
here ya go...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pff3eb0b3521dc0544d58fbed4f58670f/fcec9011.jpg

Pillow
January 13th 2003, 13:19
If you are in Atl feel free to come by my place in Marietta anytime and I will show you what real disc brakes are :) Porsche style.

Going throught the junkyard yesterday Chigger kept commenting about how small and jinky most full size cars brakes were... Then looking at the 944 and Wilwood stuff when we got back to my place... There is no substitute! LOL

Once you get into the GL thing I doubt you can go back to a normal setup and like it.

... But I am a bad influence :)

craigt-from-atl
January 13th 2003, 13:26
Hi,

Go to the main page and you will find the 'Members Rides' section, as well as tech articles and show coverage, and feature articles.

www.germanlook.com and then press 'Enter'

Sandeep

Thanks! I actually did some more digging around and found all the galleries.

NO_H2O
January 14th 2003, 09:35
Here is mine

oasis
January 14th 2003, 10:16
Am I correct NO_H20 that you used a front bumper on the rear and placed taillights where the turn signals would have otherwise gone?

Whatever, looks great.

-René

NO_H2O
January 14th 2003, 17:57
Oasis, you are correct. I used a frount bumper/brackets on the rear. I hade to mod. the light assy.'s and add a lamp holder to get the amber turn lamp in them as well as the red 1157's for stop/run lights. There is also a bar of LED's for a third brake light in the back window. The fenders and deck lid where shaved (welded) bumpers where chem. striped, blasted, epoxy primed and painted.

njv
January 14th 2003, 19:06
hi
no h2o thats nice real smooth looking .

may i ask where you purchased a simple strip of leds for your 3rd brake light?

cool.

NO_H2O
January 14th 2003, 20:04
Believe it or not, I found it at AutoZone. I had to make 2 risers to mount to my speaker tray, that the two ends of the light bar mount to so it would be high enough to be seen.

Tony Z
February 10th 2003, 14:52
A little late, but this is the link to my site.

My car has changed form a little since, between someones washing machine downloading all its contents on my roof and two people driving into my car, one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. Not major but noticable.

www.geocities.com/suicyde_vw

let me know what you think, will update it soon, once I get finished with the heads...

NO_H2O
February 10th 2003, 15:48
Cool Tony. Smooooooooth.

zen
February 11th 2003, 08:21
very nice tony.

vujade
February 11th 2003, 11:06
very nice :)

zen
February 11th 2003, 21:07
Originally posted by craigt-from-atl
You guys have any pics of your rides anywhere? I haven't bought my beetle yet, but I'm definitely going with a Type4 engine, and was looking for some other ideas.

I was originally thinking about making it look mostly stock, with the exception of disc brakes and a slight lowering, so I could really blow people away, but could be persuaded to go GL if I see the right stuff. :D

craig, to get back to your question, we are finishing up the website now. as vujade said, you can find some pics in the gallery here and we will post additional on our site for the member's profile. dave is the only one with his car "done". vujade has done some mods, but is very much a work in progress. mine is at paint, but i have done a digital mock up of what it should look like. and pillow is a work in progress on his westy and still looking for the right oval. jhelgesen just joined us and we do not have pics yet, but i believe he is early in the works on his '61 rag.

so the short of the long is we may not be a lot of inspiration in pics, but we have many opinions we are prepared to share.

so when are you joining the crew?

Wanzer74
March 6th 2003, 22:26
let me let me

jhelgesen
March 6th 2003, 23:01
Craigt, I've got a 74 std mexi beetle for sale that would be a great start to a GL car. A set of porsche rims and you would be set.

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1151

zen
March 7th 2003, 00:46
wanzer, head over to theVKG website (http://www.volksport.net/joinus.htm) and we will get you setup. give us some info on what your plans are for the car.

craigt-from-atl
March 7th 2003, 07:52
Originally posted by jhelgesen
Craigt, I've got a 74 std mexi beetle for sale that would be a great start to a GL car. A set of porsche rims and you would be set.

http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1151

:)

Thanks, but I'm looking for something in the early '60s era. (Even though everyone else here seems to want the late models.)

Guess I should have kept my '73 super, huh? . . . :)

jhelgesen
March 7th 2003, 08:27
No prob, I'm building a 61 myself. :)

zen
March 7th 2003, 09:34
craig, check in with the SEVWC (sevwc.com or shoptalkforums.com in the SE room). they always seem to have some early 60's floating around. thesamba.com usually has quite a few also if you are will to buy long distance. plus on thesamba you can usually find someone getting out of a project they may have already spent the time and money on something that you can leverage. john can attest to the fact that plans change. ;)

craigt-from-atl
March 7th 2003, 10:52
Yeah, I check thesamba and SEVWC regularly. I'll have to check out the shoptalkforums.

Underlying problem is that I don't have *permission* to buy from my boss yet. :)

I had found a '63 rag in AL, and had convinced my father that he should swoop it up and cruise around for a year or so, but the guy had sold it earlier in that same day. :(

We're just finishing getting out of school and credit card debt, so it might be a while unless something I can't pass up comes along.

Ahhhh, dreams. . . .

jhelgesen
March 7th 2003, 11:09
Never ask permission, just say look what I got for free.

I know where there is an excellent 66 for sale, guy needs the dough and would let it go for $500, will fix you up with all sorts of parts too.

It belongs to a friend of mine and could really use to move it.

John

zen
March 7th 2003, 11:31
i have learned this through the years...

"it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission"

...at least if you want the right end result :)

vujade
March 7th 2003, 11:41
Same here...:)

You always do like John said too, I got it for FREE :) LOL

jhelgesen
March 7th 2003, 12:09
Once you have some spare parts laying around the shop you can always say you "swapped" for the stuff. Make sure you move your piles around once in a while.

jhelgesen
March 7th 2003, 12:15
Oh yeah, he's got a PROJECT 59 rag that could be had cheap too.

Email me for details.

craigt-from-atl
March 7th 2003, 12:17
I 'pm'ed you about the 66, but would like even more to know about the rag.

-Craig

Wanzer74
March 7th 2003, 19:33
zen, the site looks cool and i would like to be involved with something with substance . most meetings are me being the kid, people think i did not do anything my self to my ride and just seem to ignore me. they all seem to hate the idea of running a type 4 , so i might fit in with you guys. check out my site!

NO_H2O
March 7th 2003, 20:02
Purist are funny. VW's have a history of being the most widely modified mark ever made. When they get miffed about the type 4 just say "at least I didn't put a Pinto engine in it.
:D

zen
March 7th 2003, 22:44
nice ride wanzer. i remember checking out your FAT shroud when making my decisions. so how do you like it? i bought one in preparing to put my 2.0 in, but came across some cash and am now getting a RAT engine instead. so the FAT may go.

we would love to have you in the club. no attitudes or age discrimination here. just a bunch of good guys.

Wanzer74
March 8th 2003, 01:33
zen, i love the shroud, look good but cools even better.in combo with the 911 fan. i did not shave my engin down at all so i have to off set my deck lid . i have seen other styles that sit down a little lower and blow over the stock oil cooler, but the phat shroud forced me to run a 8 pass oil cooler to the front threw 20 feet of copper tubeing.(nice and cool) Maybe i will see somebody at the vdubs over the skyway!! i was also looking at the rules for your club, i went with pre 64 thick body trim and my weels 15" new beetle with falken low pros. my paint is dodge deep purple. and i havent lowerd the back end (yet) so i dont know if i meet the hight.

vujade
March 8th 2003, 09:10
Wanzer dont worry about it.
Most of us are under construction.
As long as you have plans to do it GL, you can become
a member.