PDA

View Full Version : German Look.com - UK Chapter?

hot66
January 17th 2003, 05:25
For all the UK German Lookers, shall we set up a UK division of German Look.com?

Maybe meet at some of the shows / trackdays, have some of the completed UK German Lookers on display, photos of projects on the go etc...?

Anybody interested in this?

Chris Percival
January 17th 2003, 09:12
Absolutely!! We could hold the first one ever at the first Castle Combe Triple C action day this April? Maybe we could kick start it by getting a mention in Volksworld?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vwtrackday/

vujade
January 17th 2003, 09:13
I dont think the owners of German Look.com want people forming forming any international divisions.

The members of VolkSport Käfer Gruppe and the owners of GermanLook.com had discussed whether or not to allow VKG to become an international club.

It was decided that we would let the GL community decide for us.
The choice for you, the international GL community would be to either form chapters of VKG or start your own GL club.... as stated above, I dont think GermanLook.com (www.germanlook.com) is looking for any divisions or chapters of their website. :)

Please visit this thread & vote! :)
I believe this is the post in question (http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1220)

Thanks
Joe

Chris Percival
January 17th 2003, 09:21
Well I think hot66 really just meant a UK German Look club rather than a club having official links to germanlook.com or VKG..

hot66
January 17th 2003, 09:40
sorry i think I confused things slightly.

I was really trying to get a specific 'performance / german look' club started.

A club that was more performance based than the usual 'social' clubs.

There are some performance 'drag race' orienated clubs but nothing for those of us who think about the total package of performance.

If there was interest, then the Castle Coombe day could be a good start :)

There are a lot of of UK bugs being built at the moment for all out performance, it would be nice to group them together into a single club.

hot66
January 17th 2003, 09:44
Originally posted by vujade

It was decided that we would let the GL community decide for us.
The choice for you, the international GL community would be to either form chapters of VKG or start your own GL club.... as stated above, I dont think GermanLook.com (www.germanlook.com) is looking for any divisions or chapters of their website. :)

Please visit this thread & vote! :)
I believe this is the post in question (http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1220)

Thanks
Joe

oopps, didn't read this before my last post.

The VKG is the kind of thing I was thinking about :)

Chris Percival
January 17th 2003, 09:44
The club could also go under the VWTRA (VW Track Racing Association) banner?

hot66
January 17th 2003, 09:50
I suppose the problem is most of the cars being built are for the road & will be used on the track occasionally.

You don't want people thinking the club is a 'motorsport club' based on track racing

IMHO :D

Chris Percival
January 17th 2003, 10:01
I understand your point. However I think there is a huge amount of crossover and shared interest between the 2 proposed UK clubs? I just thought it would help both clubs get of the ground if we merge the two together?

Chris Percival
January 17th 2003, 10:04
Anyway many VW clubs here in the UK don't consider themselves to be drag racing clubs, yet they regularly visit Santa Pod and RWYB events like Bug Jam, and Big Bang..

hot66
January 17th 2003, 10:08
A crossover club would be great. I can just picture a club stand at future shows (vw & non vw shows), some great performance 'germanlook' style street cars lined up next to more dedicated track cars :D

I was only commenting on the name, wouldn't like the name of a club to put people off or make them think it is to biased in one direction :)

Chris Percival
January 17th 2003, 10:13
Ah sorry, yes ok, I agree with you about the name, it is a bit specific isn't it..

Yes I can see that image too, how cool would that be! I don't know how you might go about doing it though, I am still having trouble getting any real commited interest in the VWTRA..

hot66
January 17th 2003, 10:24
if you start by pushing the club idea to the known UK German Look buiders/ fans on other forums etc I'm sure there will be interest.

I suppose the difficult bit is taking an idea & getting it into reality.

bren
January 17th 2003, 10:25
count me in for that, my bug is at most VW shows anyway.

as for the trackday chris, im well interested in the castle combe day, but cant commit right now due to funds, or lack of! got too many other commitments at the moment, would only be able to book a couple of weeks prior to the date. something that i can do at VW events as tickets are set aside at the gate for people who just turn up. its the whole thing of having to prebook thats causing my issues, i just dont have the spare cash right now.

Chris Percival
January 17th 2003, 10:29
Thats OK bren, I know your position, and I thank you for your interest, the comment it wasn't aimed at anyone specific...

samcat
January 17th 2003, 10:40
I also am defo interested in that :)

Alex
January 17th 2003, 12:12
Guys.....
please read and vote in the thread that vujade mentioned.
We were also talking about making a club a national club.
So VKG would have chapters in the US because of the size of thte nation. Just ideas for now.

Alex

Vyper
January 17th 2003, 16:03
Originally posted by Chris Percival
Ah sorry, yes ok, I agree with you about the name, it is a bit specific isn't it..

Yes I can see that image too, how cool would that be! I don't know how you might go about doing it though, I am still having trouble getting any real commited interest in the VWTRA..

Get your bloody car done Dazza!!! :silly:

Vyper counting himself in!!!

:D

Andy White
January 18th 2003, 07:27
Hi Guys,

I'll be returning to the U.K in March after a 4 1/2 year stint working abroad in Dubai. My bug was a slow restoration due to a lack of funds and my love for the German Look, but I plan to put a lot of time and effort into it over the next year to get it finished by March 2004. Count me in for a Performance Bug Club whatever it ends up being called!

Good Luck,

Andy.

hot66
January 19th 2003, 15:54
any more thoughts from anyone on the UK german look club ?

how about a 1st meet up at the castle combe track day?

darren
January 19th 2003, 20:52
Originally posted by Vyper
Get your bloody car done Dazza!!! :silly:

Vyper counting himself in!!!

:D

Ok already :D

Sounds like a great idea.

Obviously it may a year or two before I could bring the cabrio :rolleyes:

Just looking at the members here, must be 15 or so from the UK?

darren

darren
January 19th 2003, 21:18
OK

Have just read the rules for VKG and I think it would be difficult to stipulate such rules for UK.

Lack of interest members etc would dictate different guidelines, not rules. Sam, Bren, James, myself, Mark T would not qualify for VKG due to wheel size,trim etc.

Would a UK based club make more sense, as opposed to a division of the international club?

darren

i heart vw
January 20th 2003, 03:32
This is a little of the subject...but i have had two room mate from the U.K. (i'm planning on moving to Surrey very soon) and both of them and all of my friends from there, have hated Germans more then peanut butter...so on that note it makes me laugh that a some U.K.ers are trying so hard to start a club based around Germany and that look:hehehe: ...tim

hot66
January 20th 2003, 03:48
Originally posted by darren
OK

Have just read the rules for VKG and I think it would be difficult to stipulate such rules for UK.

Lack of interest members etc would dictate different guidelines, not rules. Sam, Bren, James, myself, Mark T would not qualify for VKG due to wheel size,trim etc.

Would a UK based club make more sense, as opposed to a division of the international club?

darren

I agree. IMO the club should be street performance based (not drag obviously) , & not restricted by the German Look as identified by the rules for the VKG. You need to attract all those peole who have an interest in all round performance :)

Any ideas on a name? :)

bren
January 21st 2003, 06:43
Originally posted by hot66
not restricted by the German Look as identified by the rules for the VKG. You need to attract all those peole who have an interest in all round performance

i agree 100%.. the VKG rules are completely un-enforceable in the UK.. unless you want a club with 2 cars in it! ;o)

Chris Percival
January 22nd 2003, 05:06
http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1265

vujade
February 22nd 2003, 10:42
So whats going on with the UK Club?

hot66
February 23rd 2003, 16:11
we have formed a club called 'FastTrack Dub Club'.

Not a true germanlook, but a club which leans to the all round performance aircooled vehicle. All aircooled are welcome including buggies, type2's etc.....asl ong as the vehicle is not a drag strip refugee & has been built with corners in mind :D

In the UK, trackdays are very popular (open track at race circuits for any vehicles), & this will be the starting point for some of the clubs meet ups.

We have our first track day at CastleCoombe circuit in April.

If anyone is intersted in joining us we have a yahoo group set up, or you could mail me or chris percival :D