PDA

View Full Version : Please ID some wheels for me...

piledriver
August 13th 2002, 00:19
I need a set of 914 rims ID'd, I think they might end up on the 71 SB, the offset looks better.

The 5.5" wheels are made by Mahle, with a VW part#, are 8 spokes , with raised ribs cut off at slight angles rather than curved.

The 5 just came off the "new" Pile, a 914 2.0, stored for 18 years, got it today.

My son still has the digital cam, I can post pics tomorrow if needed.

I would like to know what they are, if they have cracking issues like the usual 2.0 Porsche rims, and where to get center caps, 3 are MIA, and none have logos.

Superman
August 13th 2002, 03:55
Can't help you with the wheels but where is Van Alstyne?

piledriver
August 13th 2002, 11:05
Between McKinney and Sherman, of course;-)

All are noth of Dallas on US 75, about halfway to Oklahoma, the border is about 40 miles IIRC.

I was just looking at the wheels, and THINK I recognise them...(visualize light bulb going on over my head)

They sorta resemble the gas burners on my stove.

Of course I am a terrible optimist and have a good imagination, so I may be dead wrong.

If they are, PLEASE let me know, as in that case I just paid a little bit too much for a nice set of 5 Mahle "gas burners" and got a free car.

They would look damn good on the super, tho.

piledriver
August 13th 2002, 14:32
Reply to self---

NO, they `aint gas burners, just the optional Mahle 914 rims, which still don't suck.

Still curious if they have issues, etc.

The gas burners are 5 lug, and only look roughly similar, used on 914-6 and 911s.

(Why I didn't just look it up on google to begin with I'll never know)

Alex
August 13th 2002, 15:24
Do you have a pic that you can attach?

Alex

piledriver
August 13th 2002, 17:01
Better, a link:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_wheel_types/914_wheel_types.htm