PDA

View Full Version : berg 5-speed one piece main shaft

factman
January 19th 2003, 17:16
i dont know where but i was reading a post last month about people discussing the strenth of the berg 5- speed conversion and were concerned about the main shaft and how they extned it rather than making a one piece shaft. well, today i was strolling through one of my old VW Trends mags and came across a conversion that was built up by VW Paradise, the same firm that built the fastest VW dragster yet. anyways, they were mentioning how it is better to use a one piece main shaft and how Weddle Engineering makes a one piece main shaft for the berg 5-speed converion. i hope this reaches someone that was trying to find someone that would make a one peice shaft. they are located here in the states. there address is P.O. Box 1075 Goleta, CA 93116 or there phone is (USA) (805)-696-9665. i hope this helps some of you. Sam

Alex
January 22nd 2003, 06:07
Actually Erco makes them too now.

I was talking about a one piece Pinion shaft which nobody makes at the moment and I think nobody will make due to the high cost.
I have a friend that is a mechanical engineer and toolmaker and he did some research for me and nobody will do it for a fair price unless you will have higher production numbers.

Erco said the same thing....
JSports in Japan might do it. I was talking to them and they send me one of their snapped shafts as a demo. They had a couple fail since they use the Berg5 in their race car. I will check with them.

Alex

factman
January 23rd 2003, 21:15
they also showed the pinion shaft too i think. isn't it the one that has the heliacal gear on the end that mates with the ring gear. maybe they were showing the pinion shaft and were talking about the main shaft though. oh well, thought i had discovered something amazing but i boat has been sunk lol.