PDA

View Full Version : To Michel Ghia: Driveshaft/axle length

Wally
January 20th 2003, 03:02
Michel,
I think maybe you are the person to ask this:
What length drive axles are out there (VW/Porsche) with what type of splines at each end?
Or anybody else has data on this?
Thanks,
Walter

Michael Ghia
February 2nd 2003, 11:09
Wally,
What are you trying to fit up?
Just some quick info,
The 944 (up to 1986) uses driveshafts which with the CV's, end to end are the same overall length as T1 driveshafts.... but the CV's are thicker and therefore the shaft has splines cut further down on each end.
T2 drivehshafts are longer, T1 driveshaft with T2 CV's are longer. T3 are the same as T1 and T4... I have some somewhere ;)
The Porsche 924/944/968 manual gearboxes have the same width between CV's as the T1 and the 901/915. This means that if you use the 924/944/968 rear axle with it's driveshafts, they will match (length) the gearbox.
We've been through the output shaft thingy... one bolt per side to remove and replace the output shaft.

MG

Wally
February 2nd 2003, 15:35
Michel,
Thanks for the info. I am trying to fit the 915 in a type 1 to a 944 turbo arm. I thought the 915 was wider than a type 1, but it isn't really, so I can probably still use the type 2 driveshafts (axles), I use already with the type 1 trans.
Fortunatly, some things are still simple...
Walter

Michael Ghia
February 2nd 2003, 17:03
You're welcome, please let us see some pictures.
Mike Ghia

Wally
February 2nd 2003, 17:36
Hi Michel,
Pics, yes would like to, but it seems that my digitalized photo's are too big in kbites to post :mad:
Also, the 2,7 is still waiting for some parts, not in the least the heads. Probably the LNengineerings heads, but they are not ready yet. I'am not in a hurry though, but want to drive again a.s.a.p., so I have started to build a 2053 for the meanwhile. Before that I still like to have the 915 fitted as well. Still awaiting the localization of a set of early 915 flanges, since I am not so sure the smaller (for type 2 CV's) axle flanges come from a 914 box (?). The construction seems very different! Some time will pass I'am afraid, untill I can send you (by mail only probably) some pics of the 915 actually in the car.
Will keep you posted (here, in writing) of the progress tho.
Thanks so far,
Walter

mike/neworleans
February 4th 2003, 15:56
I got vw width, Porsche splined axles from Transform, here in the states. I used the 911 cv joints off the same car I got my 911 transmission. I bought vw converted to Porsche stub axles from Rancho. Hope this helps, Mike.
PS Michael Ghia helped answer some questions during my installation.
pps Steve's install is nicer.

Wally
February 5th 2003, 03:25
Mike,
Thanks for stepping up to help. Much appriciated. Nice pic.
Looks like you have a type 911 trans though, similar to 901. My trans is type 915 and I want/need to retain my longer than stock VW type 2 half shafts (axles), because of the wider trailing arms (944T) I use. Making a specially splined axle could probably be done here as well by a company, but I am still hoping to be able to use as many existing (porsche, VW or otherwise) parts as possible. I've abandoned this believe however already by ordering a special KEP flywheel, as suggested by Michael and Lee.
I've not given up hope yet.
Walter

PS who is Steve?