PDA

View Full Version : the blackout has begun....

bren
August 13th 2002, 09:12
....weekend just gone i started to paint all my trim satin black*! so far so good! headlamp surrounds, wingtop indicator covers, rear volkswagen script, sections of side trim and the front bumper are all painted and ready to go on the car! the rest will follow in the next week or so... ive trial fitted most of it and it certainly makes the car look a whole bunch different! to quote my girlfriend when i showed her the headlamp rings fitted "Oh!! its doesnt look cute anymore!!!" ;) to her thats a bad thing... to me its the aim of the game!! :D

photos will follow hopefully sometime next week when i can get the film in the camera developed.. i still cant decide whether to drill the door and bonnet (hood) handles before painting them though? half of me says forget it, your cars overweight anyway, the other half says "race-look! race-look! race-look! race-look! race-look! race-look! race-look!" ;)

*(actually i have a second bug, a stock 72 GT beetle, and ive been painting its worn and torn trim satin black, and putting it on my eurolooker as i didnt want to trash the immaculate chrome trim i already had by prepping it for paint!)

vujade
August 13th 2002, 15:40
sounds good, cant wait to see the pics :)

trevorbrady
August 14th 2002, 10:10
Drill them bren, drill them all!!!!

muhahahahah!!!

Drill the pedal stems. It's really cool, nobody notices till it's pointed out to them, drill the bonnet and decklid handles too.

I've got drilled and blacked out handles. I'm chuffed with them!

Superman
August 14th 2002, 10:39
Bren I think your car will look so good with blacked out trim. A whole new "attitude". Cool situation with your lady, I understand exactly what you mean. Women say the best comments about cars. My favorite so far, "is that the same car?"

Personally I don't like the drilled handles, but that's me.

samcat
August 14th 2002, 11:20
Drill em.

If your cars overweight anyway, then a diet to bring it back to standard weight is a GOOD thing. Its what I'm gonna do with mine. Keep the stereo, but try to get it back to stock weight by weight saving elsewhere. Be careful where you take the weight from though... Dont take too much weight off the front, ditch LOADS of weight off the rear....

Cya,
Sam C

Chris Percival
August 15th 2002, 04:24
Careful about drilling the brake pedal, it has to withstand an adrenaline fueled stamp! That is an area I wouldn't compromise. Personally I think the weight saving of drilling a few things is not worth the bother.

Glass is one of the heaviest things on the car actually, big savings can be made by swapping out the side and back windows for plexy ones..

bren
August 15th 2002, 05:26
Originally posted by Chris Percival

Glass is one of the heaviest things on the car actually, big savings can be made by swapping out the side and back windows for plexy ones..

we think along the same lines you and me! ;) one day ill get round to doing the lexan window thing... probably flush fit too... i also like the fact that they would be, through the nature of polycarbonate, bulletproof!! LOL! i dont get shot at too often, ;) but i do have a v. expensive stereo setup that could do with the extra security of windows that dont break!

WipEout
August 15th 2002, 05:29
can you get Lexan door glass? I thought Lexan faded like plastic after so long? I have no idea how the stuff works, I haven't heard of much use of it off the drag strips, so I don't really know about it's longevity...

DAVID MANN

Chris Percival
August 15th 2002, 05:36
I don't know a huge amount about it myself, only that its much lighter than glass. The downside is that it becomes scratched with time (by washing it etc), but this can be prevented with a plastic 'film' that can be used to protect the plastic. The film is much easier and cheaper to replace than the plastic itself...

samcat
August 15th 2002, 05:59
From what I have heard/read there are two grades of lexan used on cars. The lower grade scratches over time and goes 'misty', the other stuff is much better quality and is similar to glass in that you can wash/clean it as much as you want and it doesnt fade/mist up or get scratched :)

Anyone know where I can get some from? If there's that much of a weight saving then I may just do it.
Smoke tinted? (like my current glass)

Cya,
Sam C

:silly:

Chris Percival
August 15th 2002, 06:04
Paul Woodhead
Direct Plastics
0114 256 0889

samcat
August 15th 2002, 06:18
Cheers Chris, I will give him a call next week sometime :D

Cya,
Sam C

lightning bug
August 16th 2002, 22:05
RLR also sells it here in the states.

MattKab
August 19th 2002, 13:18
The best type is like that used for ski-goggles. Tough, hard and lighter than glass. Not too cheap, I bet. You'd want it to last.

Looks awesome flush-fitted, like on the Clockwork Orange racecar (we need a pic hint hint)

Vyper
August 26th 2002, 03:45
Mate considering the sub setup u got, drilling 5 holes in three handles ain't gonna do much!!! :D

I saw the car Friday just gone, didn't think I'd like it first off but it REALLY suits the look.

If Bren ever get any time to do his OWN car it'll look the

B**locks!!!

From memory just the doors/bonnet handle(s),1/4 lights & Trim, decklid catch and bumpers to swop.

Cya Tuesday.

Vyper

Phat73VW
August 26th 2002, 04:39
hey bren. i am really eager to see your bug and its new blackout look. when are you going to post pics? did you get my email?

bren
August 27th 2002, 07:12
Originally posted by Vyper

If Bren ever get any time to do his OWN car it'll look the

B**locks!!!

as the man says, IF i ever get the time to work on my own bug and get the trim sorted, ill take some pics and post them up here.. this weekend i had to do an engine swap on a friends bug, next weekend theres a show, same the weekend after that.. then mid september my girlfriend wants me to fit a new gearbox and front beam to her bug... you can see how my "spare" time at weekends goes now!! ;) basically i dont get much time to myself! i had to tell friends politely to f*** off a few weeks back so that i could get time to fit my much needed new motor!! .....if the weather holds out in the next couple of weeks, ill make time during evenings to finish off the trim.. i want it done for a show in two weeks time.. heres hoping with fingers crossed!!

PS: brian.. YGM!

Alex
August 27th 2002, 08:29
Shows that you are attending? Chance of taking a digi camera and getting some pics to us with a little write up?

Thanks,
Alex

bren
August 28th 2002, 10:56
i dont have a digi im afraid.. only an SLR, so the film developing will slow thngs down, but yeah, ill take pics and type some blurb!