PDA

View Full Version : Security?

craigt-from-atl
January 26th 2003, 11:05
Not a real place to post this, so I'll give this area a shot.

I'm planning on investing a decent size chunk of change on a Type IV motor for an early Type 1. That having been said, I don't want to come out of the store one day to not find it where I parked it.

In my wife's car ('83 Grand Prix hooptie), I rigged up a starter kill. You have to push the cigarette lighter in so the car will start. It's been stolen twice, but not since the starter kill! :D

I imagine I'd do some kind of alarm, but do you guys do anything else that ensures the car will remain in the same spot?

Thanks,

Alex
January 26th 2003, 11:28
I will get Boomerang (SP?) which works on the Pager network. The car is trackable and is better than GPS because with GPS you can not locate the car if it is in an underground garage.....but most pagers still work in underground garages.

But with GPS you can find the car anywhere....even where the is no network coverage for pagers:befuddled

craigt-from-atl
January 26th 2003, 11:36
Originally posted by Alex
I will get Boomerang (SP?) which works on the Pager network. The car is trackable and is better than GPS because with GPS you can not locate the car if it is in an underground garage.....but most pagers still work in underground garages.

But with GPS you can find the car anywhere....even where the is no network coverage for pagers:befuddled

Looks interesting, but appears to only be in 'The Great White North."(Canada):rolleyes:

I was surprised though; it's not very expensive at all! (especially if those are Canadian dollars)

Alex
January 26th 2003, 11:39
Yeah...it is not that bad. I also plan on making my fuse/electrical panel fully removable.......
So when it sits in the garage the panel is taken out.

Alex

samcat
January 26th 2003, 12:42
I run the following in my bug (not going to list a few things, just in case there's bad people reading here!)

Security film on windows... Takes more than just a tap from a hammer to break it now.. You hit it and the glass will break but only where hit. Need to actually push the whole lot out the way once smashed.

Full alarm system... With ultrasonics, microwave proximity sensors, shock sensors, tilt sensors, current drop sensors and door/bonnet/boot switches.

2x polyrhythmic alarm sirens. 135db each, each one sounds like two different car alarms going off. One in the front hidden away and one in the engine bay, hidden away. Battery backed up (so the theif can disconnect the battery... It wont make a difference!

Electronic fuel pump is on a hidden switch.

I also run 3 LEDS that all flash to the exact same time/pattern. One in each door right by the door lock pulls, and one on the dashboard.

Physical STOP LOCk PRO on the steering wheel, along with the standard steering lock.

Wheel lock nuts on all wheels. Dont buy cheap ones, totally defies the point!

There is more, but I am not gonna put it in writing every on the net as who knows who's reading all this....

Cya,
Sam C

craigt-from-atl
January 26th 2003, 15:11
Man! That sounds like one secure ride! I don't blame you for not giving up all your secrets! ;)

That security film. . . Is it clear, or tinted? I've never heard of it.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to transplant my stereo from my water-pumper into the beetle. If I do, I'm definitely going to put the CD player in the glovebox.

I had a friend with an old Landcruiser that had a wire hanging out of his dash that looked like crap. Only thing was that you had to touch that to a certain small portion of the dash to start the car. That was pretty ingenius. (I thought)

So I'm trying to come up with some clever ideas like that, but hopefully a bit cleaner! :)

samcat
January 27th 2003, 10:19
Originally posted by craigt-from-atl
Man! That sounds like one secure ride! I don't blame you for not giving up all your secrets! ;)

That security film. . . Is it clear, or tinted? I've never heard of it.

Its clear. made by autotint. my glass is tinted anyway so i didnt want to tint it anymore.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to transplant my stereo from my water-pumper into the beetle. If I do, I'm definitely going to put the CD player in the glovebox.

Worth it. All my stereo etc is totally hidden from sight. had to manufacture my own stereo glovebox bits as you cant get stereo glovebox kits for 1303's!!

I had a friend with an old Landcruiser that had a wire hanging out of his dash that looked like crap. Only thing was that you had to touch that to a certain small portion of the dash to start the car. That was pretty ingenius. (I thought)

So I'm trying to come up with some clever ideas like that, but hopefully a bit cleaner! :)

Good plan. Use a little circuit and a magnetic reed switch hidden behind an area of the dash. Have a magnet on your keyring with your keys that you either swipe across the area (latches the circuit so you can start the car, drops again after about 2 mins) or you have to leave the magnet in place....

Cya,
Sam C