PDA

View Full Version : 18" x 7.25" TSW's Will they fit?

TitoRay
August 14th 2002, 01:52
Would it be possible to fit these wheels under my stock fenders(in the front)? I would be using them with Topline Maxx struts and the appropriate drop setting. The tires would be 215/35 or so.

Superman
August 14th 2002, 11:00
Need to know the offset of the wheels to answer this.
If it's a 50 to 60mm (look for ET) negative offset then yes.

You can lay a straight edge across the back of the wheel and measure the distance to the mounting surface, it needs to be at least 6" this is know as backspacing.

cre8iv1
August 14th 2002, 14:50
wouldn't that be positive offset?

Superman
August 15th 2002, 00:51
If the center of the rim (not the mounting face but the actual center of the width) is toward the center of the car it is negative offset....positive would have the center away from the car, like "deep dish" wheels. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

bren
August 15th 2002, 05:46
hate to disagree, but a rim approx 7" wide with 50 or 60ET would fould the suspension on a standard or a super bug assuming the brakes are stock. (different ballgame when using porsche brakes) my front rims are 7's and they are 40ET.. they sit flush with the arch on the outside and slightly dragged on the suspension at full lock before i limited the lock with the steering box stops. they are now a good fit.. if they sat 10 or 20mm further in towards the the middle of the car they would render it undriveable in anything other than a straight line.. you would need a spacer if the offset is that high.

cre8iv1
August 15th 2002, 09:48
isn't the offset based on the mounting plate, and its relation to the center of the rim...so if a rim had a 50 et that would that the mounting plate is + 50 mm from the center or towards the outside of the car??

Superman
August 15th 2002, 09:53
Bren now you know that I don't know anything about the torsion bar front axle :eek:

What I wrote applies to a Super and from his signature and asking about struts I gathered that is the application.

The fitments I have dealt with (with 17") is 7" ET55 and 7.5" ET52 (same back spacing) with 944 brakes, or Type I discs with spacers. Forgot to mention the spacers sorry.

Yes I agree ET60 is probably too much so let me change that to no more than ET55.

The big question is (for TitoRay) do you know the offset? Look for a "ET" stamp on the back of the wheel.

Superman
August 15th 2002, 09:58
That's correct Brett,

If the mounting surface is toward the outside of the centerline that is positive offset and toward the inner is negative.

EDIT NOTE: the above is wrong, I had them mixed up. so the correct is...

If the mounting surface is toward the outside of the centerline that is negative offset and toward the inner is possitive.

There is a big difference between offset and backspacing and the two get confused sometimes.

Backspacing is the distance between the inner wheel "lip" (tire bead area) and the mounting plate.

Superman
August 15th 2002, 10:33
I now remember what I was thinking when I posted that night.
His wheel is a 7.25 and a 7.5 ET52 will fit so I took a educated guess that a ET60 would fit due to the 1/4" difference. Anyway, enough guess work...

:doh:

...I will turn my brain off until we find out what offset these wheels actually are

TitoRay
August 15th 2002, 13:24
Well, lets see. I don't actually have the wheels. I saw them on another bug featured in VW trends (the Silver Arrow, a few issues ago) and they were listed as 18" x 7.25". So I just checked the TSW site and the have the offsets listed as between +10 and +40. I am assuming that is a postive offset(correct me if I am wrong so it probably won't work but thanks for all the help everybody!:cool:

Superman
August 15th 2002, 22:16
I stand corrected. It is positive offset. I had the correct concept in my mind but had the terms mixed up. I've called them this for the last 10 years and I've been wrong all this time :eek:

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/suspension/offset.jpg

and with that said then yes the 7.25" width with a 40mm POSITIVE ;) offset should fit.

Is that "Silver Arrow" a Super?

Superman
August 15th 2002, 22:19
and Topline has the spacers that you will need (with VW brakes) unless you use the Porsche brakes

vujade
August 16th 2002, 00:07
Silver Arrow

bren
August 16th 2002, 06:05
Originally posted by Superman

and Topline has the spacers that you will need (with VW brakes) unless you use the Porsche brakes a 7.25" rim with ET40 (ET is offset BTW) wouldnt need spacers... it would bolt right up to a stock brake drilled to suit the wheels bolt pattern....

...just like mine do!

(edit:) you may find that you need a very slim spacer to help the centrecaps clear the speedo drive on the left hub dustcover.. i forgot to mention that.. i managed to clearance the centrecaps themselves rather than use spacers, but thats not always possible, depends on the centrecap design...

TitoRay
August 16th 2002, 13:22
Ok, ok. Very good news. I will probably use a disc brake kit that comes pre-drilled for 4X100 along with drums in the back drilled for the same. Hopefully that will work. Now the question is what size tires should I use? Will 205/35 fit on a 7.25" wide rim or do I need 215/35? Thanks again everybody!!:cool:

Oh, and the car mentioned above was not an SB. It was a 67' body with 71' standard chassis. The front beam was narrowed 3 inches.

MattKab
August 16th 2002, 17:19
How much has the steering been limited on the Silver arrow?
Are those wheels just for show?

Awesome Bug tho'.

My 17's no longer look big!

23" alloy wheels on display at the Tokyo Motorshow last year mmmmm 23inch !

Superman
August 16th 2002, 22:19
Originally posted by bren

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Superman

and Topline has the spacers that you will need (with VW brakes)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a 7.25" rim with ET40 (ET is offset BTW) wouldnt need spacers...

Spacers will be needed to clear the stock springs on the Super's strut. However, if the MaXX strut (small diameter spring) is used then the spacers will not be needed.

I once fitted a 15x7" ET38 wheel to an early Super and needed a 1" spacer to clearance the strut... that was in 1995 before the MaXX strut was available.

69_Dreamz
August 18th 2002, 17:49
Hey superman, when you put that 15x7 with a 38mm offset, did it limit your turning radius at all?. I have 17x7 with a 38mm offset on my 69' bug ball joint front end, It seams that it has really limited my steering, this is even after adjusting the steering stops. Any advice for increasing the turning capability of my front end?

Thanks

Superman
August 18th 2002, 17:57
Not really, I had to adjust the gearbox stop, but mine is a Superbug with a completely different front suspension than a '69, so there is no comparison.

Superman
August 18th 2002, 18:01
Originally posted by 69_Dreamz

Any advice for increasing the turning capability of my front end?

Ask Bren (in the suspension forum), he can help you with the Standard Bug torsion bar front suspension...

...I only know Supers. http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/images/superman.gif

69_Dreamz
August 18th 2002, 18:03
thanks for the reply Superman, I'll drop Bren some mail now.:cool: