PDA

View Full Version : has anyone converted a berg5 shifter....

hot66
January 30th 2003, 06:49
has anyone converted a berg5 shifters 'T' handle to a 'knob' style handle?

I'm not convinced I'm going to like driving with a T-handle so I was thinking of getting a berg5 shifter , removing the 'T' & replacing it with a normal knob style handle. I know I will have to set up a reverse lock out somehow.

If this can be done it also means I could buy a cheap LHD shifter for use in a RHD car.

Anyone got any ideas?

richiep
January 30th 2003, 07:17
I hate the T-handle shifters. Drag racers must have wierd shaped hands!

I am looking into sorting out a berg 4-speed shifter for a ball on top - dunno if the 5 is similar to the 4 or not but i'll get some piccies up when I've done/broken it.

I'm gonna get rid of the reverse lockout all together - it just annoys me. Infact - if I don't manage to get a ball on top of the shifter, I'm still gonna try and get rid of the lockout. I went back to a Bugpack shifter on my speedster just to get rid of the "T", but the quality was pretty poor. Had to "Adjust" the mech in the shifter so I could get all the gears-apparently they're all like that!

verbeekb
January 30th 2003, 14:14
Exactly! I never got the idea behind a T shifter, -maybe- for dragracing, but still .. I was thinking along the same lines, and was thinking of the Hurst shifter for that very reason. A Berg shifter with a ball .. that would be the thing!

Brian

lightning bug
January 30th 2003, 18:48
Honestly... I didn't mind my dragfast, BUT, a ball-type handle is more comfortable and easier to shift in my opinion. I'm not sure where I saw it, it might be in the members' rides section, but someone fitted a round knob to a Berg or a Dragfast. I believe Chigger said he was going to change his DF to a round knob.