PDA

View Full Version : widened fenders on SuperBeetles

Martice
January 30th 2003, 15:45
Hello,

I wonder if I should get my fenders widened...I am using J7 wheels with 40mm(1.7inch?) spacers and they will be wider than the fenders.
All I can do use widened fenders on the inside(not kafer-cup style) and I wonder how a super beetle looks with 50mm(2 inch) widened fenders..
Do any of you have any pics of a super with widened fenders?

Thanks allot!

Superman
January 30th 2003, 22:07
Here is a link to a USA based company that sells widened fiberglass fenders. May not be what you're looking for but there are some pictures...

Creative Car Craft (http://www.creativecarcraft.com)

Superman
January 30th 2003, 22:11
http://www.creativecarcraft.com/super.htm

Martice
January 31st 2003, 13:03
Thanks Supe! I know them.

I have the impression that it looks kinda funny with widened fenders...

Sandeep
January 31st 2003, 13:54
Check out AlphaC's ride in the members rides section. That Supa has 60mm widened fronts and 80mm widened rears.

I think it looks MEAN ! :D

Sandeep

Martice
January 31st 2003, 14:31
Yeah. I saw that.. Thanks Sandeep!

I was going for max 40 or 60mm on both f/r.

Thanks for the help guys!

yetibone
February 23rd 2003, 14:15
Hummbug's Rear fenders are 2" wider on each side to cover those massive 17"x9" Cup 3 rear wheels. I think that once I paint it next weekend and get the lights, bumpers, glass, etc... put on it, the change will be so subtle that it will be hard to notice, unless parked next to my stock '66 Deluxe Export.

Y-bone

P.S. Sorry about the grainy picture.

NYBugman1972
February 23rd 2003, 22:40
In my opinion, wide super fronts are pretty hard to pull off. Alpha C pulled it off. I think it has to do with the fact that all chrome is painted over and the bumper is widened to match, and it's pretty low. Also, Old Style/911 headlight buckets look pretty good on wide front supers. Kinda draws attention upward in addition to outward.

Rears are a different story. I love wide rear fenders (a la 930 turbo). I have Creative Car Craft's 1 1/4" wider fenders in the back. They even out with the front fenders and really square up all the lines. In retrospect I would have gone to 2" or so, but the 1 1/4" wider looks just about stock, you can't tell unless you see a stock car. The only thing I didn't do is widen the bumper. Instead, I lengthened my bumper brackets. I may do that one day, but im happy with the way it is now.

Wanzer74
March 8th 2003, 11:49
hey i got -3 inch wider in the front and 4 in the back. lots of pics on my site. can fit lots of tire in there, but i am right up on the struts. i have new beetle rims 15 -6 1/2 with 38mm off set. i want more tire in the back byt cant find spacers in the 5/100 bolt pattern.

Steve C
March 9th 2003, 06:46
Hi

Im running Aerolook guards/fenders/wings on my 1302 with 17x8s and 17x9s.

Steve C

http://www.clubvw.org.au/images/schb2.jpg

Farmer
March 9th 2003, 09:08
Martice, you can get +4 cm front fenders widened on the inside in very good quality from Kerscher. They are a bit expensive, but they come with built in lighthousings, (many cheapoīs do not.) and fit & shape is like an original, only wider. Kerscher also have widened crome bumpers if you need that. They are IMO some of the best you can buy for money.
There is also WIZARD in GB. But I prefer the Kerscher ones anytime.

In the rear you can get by with a cheaper product because they are easier to shape for that perfect fit. Try and see if you canīt stay with +4 cm all the way around. I think you can, except if you want really BIG tyres in the rear. With the right ET you can run like 9 X 17" under a +4 cm rear fender. but with neutral or - ET you need more fender.

Martice
March 9th 2003, 13:32
Thanks for the suggestions but I am into some fiberglass myself you know :) so I am going to build my own fenders as soon as I'll have the time.I can do it way cheapper and its my pleasure after all.
I have some J7 with 205 tires and 40mm adapter so I guess 4-5cms will cover the wheels nicely.

Its just that, at first site, too widened fenders(4"- looked funny on the supers, but now I am clear and it was a false impression.

Take care,

Martin