PDA

View Full Version : Guage glass repair

Pillow
January 31st 2003, 15:51
Quick and hopefully easy question about Porsche guages and the glass repair.

I see lots of guages on e-bay and stuff where the glass just needs replaced for a nice guage. And the other day I bought a 924 tach with a cone style face glass, wierd.

Anyway what is entailed in popping off the top and replacing the glass?

In my case removing the "cone" and replacing it with a flat glass piece.

Thanks,

Sandeep
January 31st 2003, 16:25
Adrian,

I'm in the same situation as you. I went to a local glass shop (Apple Auto Glass) and they said they could cut a round peice of glass the proper diameter and thickness for me for cheap ($5 CAD).

The only problem was they wanted me to pry off the mounting ring and install it myself.

Seeing as I have Porsche gauges to install, I thought I would open up my old scratched VW speedo and try to make it look factory when done. I pried up the edges of the aluminum mounting band/trim band half way around with a very small flathead screwdriver. the band then slid off, I replaced the glass and then put it back togeather.

Well, guess what... From the front it looks OK, but from the rear it looks butchered.

Oh well.

Sandeep

Pillow
January 31st 2003, 16:33
I have done the VW ones as well. They have a nice lip to pry against, but you are correct it looks nappy from the back because it gets a little scratched up.

On the Porsche guages I just do not see a lip at all...?

I hate to send it away to some shop for a damn replacement glass. A VDO shop in Greensboro NC usually does my 911 guages if they have problems (not cheap).

Frig!

CPRcubed
January 31st 2003, 16:47
I redid the 914 speedo and tach that I have in my bug. In my case the glass just needed a simple cleaning, the needles repainted, and the bezels needed repainting. Once the bezels were removed (via the small screwdiver method), I stripped them (including the outer rings and inner rings of the bezels) down to bare metal. I then primed them and painted them in a satin black. Once the entire gauge (face, glass, needle,etc) was cleaned/refurbished, I reinstalled the bezels and folded the edge back over. I then masked off the glass and the gauge housing and shot another coat of satin black. Cheers!