PDA

View Full Version : Titanium piston pin ?

Wally
February 4th 2003, 06:41
Oliver,
After disassembling an engine last week with 96 mm JE forged pistons, I noticed how light the JE piston really is! Very nice. The negative part is the steel, chromed, piston pin. In contrast , this is (still) a really heavy part! That made me thinking:
Would'nt a titanium piston pin be a great benefit in keeping the reciproking masses to a minimum?
Since you already have a manufacturer for the titanium push rods, would there be a possibility from a constuctive point of vieuw to construct a titanium piston pin? Or can titanium not be machined/treated for a chrome like smooth finish? The form is quite easy....
Like to hear your (and others) opinion.
Walter

Oliver Knuf
February 5th 2003, 04:51
You'll not find a fitting material, then you'll run in problems as the materials are too different. Steel is ok, maybe you can taper the originals a bit, but titanium is worse in that place. It can't run with the wrist pin bushing material together, as the material is too weak! Titanium hasn't got that good glide possiblities (uhh, what a sentence!) :D!

kit
February 5th 2003, 16:38
you could try using solid alluminium alloy.
being used in F1 into ti. rods
kit

Tony Z
February 6th 2003, 15:37
The problem with running titanium gudgeons and an aluminum piston is that the expansion rates are VERY different. You might end up with a bit of measurable clearance between the piston and gudgeon which will result in the piston and gudgeon "bangining" together and wearing the combo out

kit
February 6th 2003, 16:45
forget to mention using a Colsibro... bushing.
not Alli straight into Ti.
kit

typ4boy
February 6th 2003, 20:29
hey kit , built that speedster yet? welcome to german look .com, have some nice 78.4mm stroker cranks in stock for you to cast your beady coswoth eyes over next time i see you moved to rushden now so even nearer you . Lee L.A.P

Richie
February 7th 2003, 03:40
Most Ti alloys harden under load and stress. I think it's called induction-hardening, so there's another reason for not using a titanium wristpin.
There are so called tool-steel wrist-pins that are much thinner and therefore lighter. But you can taper the originals on the inside, just as Oliver stated.

Cheers,

Richard