PDA

View Full Version : looking for carbon fiber fenders

Fonzmann
February 5th 2003, 02:42
Hey guys. I'm looking for some early style carbon fiber fenders. Anyone know where I can get some? Any help would be appreciated.

Alex
February 5th 2003, 10:42
Remmele and CSP. I heard that Creative Car Craft might be doing some.

Alex

vujade
February 5th 2003, 10:56
btw... is Creative Car Craft Moving?
I tried to contact them twice via email in the last 2 months with
no response from them at all.

lightning bug
February 5th 2003, 20:42
Joe-
I will try and let you know. I'm ordering rear fenders on Sat. through my supplier.

TitoRay
February 6th 2003, 03:25
They sell em on www.aircooled.net as well.

vujade
February 6th 2003, 10:01
lightning bug

does this mean that you ordered CF fenders from Creative Car Craft?

lightning bug
February 6th 2003, 18:09
Vujade-
No I'm getting fiberglass widened rears.

mabus013
February 12th 2003, 19:44
I'm wondering how these fenders will affect the body they're attached to in an accident, even a minor one. Real carbon fiber is supposed to be extremely stiff, and I have a feeling that in a minor accident, they might transfer the force onto the steel body and wrinkle the steel that they're attached to. For instance, say you have a carbon fiber hood, and you get into a minor front accident (one that might just cave the front of the hood/fenders/apron a little). The carbon might just be shoved back into the front of the cab, wrecking the cowl/lower windshield area and distorting the cab sheetmetal to the point where it's almost unfixable, or at least not worth the effort. This might not be much of a concern to someone with a later Super (73-79) as those bodies are easily replaced with newer Mexican ones. But if you have the older body style bugs, it's something to consider(not necessarily rare, but getting harder to find by the day). On the other hand, you can run real bumpers (in carbon fiber) and get real protection with no weight penalty (the stock bumpers are woefully inadequate in most accidents). I'm still wary about the carbon fiber panels for the most part - I think that the fiberglass ones are a better way to go unless you're a sponsered, all out racing team. Just my opinion.