PDA

View Full Version : near new Porsche gauges for baywindow

verbeekb
February 9th 2003, 09:09
This is the set of gauges out of my '74 single cab. The gauges fill the three holes in the original early 70s baywindow instrument panel. The panel was machined flat on the rear side to remove the oval housing for the original gauges. The gauges were brandnew when fitted to into my single cab. They saw about 20-some thousand kilometers of use and are in excellent working and undamaged condition. The gauges all match and are normally used in a 3.0 Carrera, that means it has the 300 Km/h speedometer with mechanical drive, this is a sought after item among 911 enthusiasts, and they were often very surprised to find it in my Bus. On the left side there is an 80mm kombi gauge with a fuel gauge and the oil level gauge, this oil level gauge doesn't have a scale, only a red area, with the (supplied, also only 20.000 Km old) 924 oil pressure sender the oil light comes on between 0.75 - 1.0 Bar, that is exactly where this red area begins, and this works very well to give the driver an idea about the oil pressure. With such a strong oil pressure warning light switch, the light comes on or flickers after a long, hard, run on a hot day, that was with my 1776 running 5w50 and a 30mm Berg pump doing 160 Km/h for about an hour. The VW owners manuals state that this is tolerable and normal under these circumstances, though the standard oil pressure light is switched at only 0.45 Bar or less. On the right side there is an 80mm clock. It has two approx. 3/4" Hella warning lights for the alternator and oil pressure. One is installed in the opening for the brake warning light and the other was mirrored to that on the other side of the speedometer. It comes with most of the wiring needed to instal this unit into a Baywindow Bus. It comes with the original Porsche wiring loom for the lighting which has the proper 3.5mm connector fitted to slip right onto the instrument light connection on the stock light switch. I made a little ground connection harness that connects to the stock 6.3mm ground connector of the stock instrument panel. The + connections to the fuel gauge, the oil pressure gauge and the warning lights need to be connected to the black + wire that is in the Bus, but will need to be spliced which can be done neatly with original VW splicers/doublers for 6.3mm connectors. There is also a high beam warning light in the speedometer. It has the rotating knob to reset the odometer, I mounted this between the speedometer and the clock, in an original VW provision for a warning light. The clock has a short red wire and VW splicer to go onto the permanent + connection of the hazard switch. The fuel gauge has a litle orange, unmarked warning light that I used as turnsignal indicator. It has no tachometer because I simply couldn't find a Porsche tach that I could graft into the dash with a "factory" look to it, so I used a #3980 Autometer tach which can become part of the deal, it is less than 8.000 Km old and has absolutely no scratches on itself or its fasteners etc. Palo Alto Speedometer quoted $700 for a custom made VDO 80mm tach with Porsche font and Porsche rim, this would replace the clock which is only really there to fill the hole nicely. So really, it's a near bolt in installation, especially if you've been around VW wiring before. It takes the stock speedo cable and is a perfect match to Porsche wheels and tire sizes. The cost of this panel was well over $800 only 20.000 Km ago. I want to find a good home for it for a reasonable price. I am open to trades or part-trades especially if you have some new Webers, a NOS Hurst Type 1 shifter, or some really amazing Type 4 heads, a nice new Webcam, a 3.44 Type 1 R&P, a Quaife IRS diff, stuff like that :) .. oh well .. it's sunday morning, I had fun writing this, have a nice day!

Brian

verbeekb
April 18th 2003, 04:24
Bump! Still available.

Brian