PDA

View Full Version : Extra cooling fin on Type 4 cilinderhead.

Richie
February 16th 2003, 07:52
I've seen Type 4 heads with extra cooling fins welded onto them, but have no hands-on experience with them. I'm still wondering how this can be done because every Type 4 I've built had no room at all for such an extra fin between the head and the cilinder.
Anybody?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

Wally
February 16th 2003, 16:00
Hi Richard,
It seems that Klaus Tuning sells the additional cooling fin. He also sells a special 103 cylinder which is longer (about 5 mm over the 'normal' 103 mm cylinder) at the top. That meens it probably has the necessary length when the extra fin is welded on to the head. Klaus only sells engines with a maximum stroke of 78,4 mm, mind you (according to his catalog anyway). Maybe those cylinders are specially made for him, ...I don't no. His catalog is interesting reading BTW.
I hope to have shed some additional info on the subject, but maybe you knew this already...I personally have no experience with it though..
Are you contemplating such a mod for your engine than?
Greetings,
Walter

Richie
February 18th 2003, 15:52
Thanks Walter,

It seems you're right about the longer cilinders. Didn't cross my mind though.
No, wasn't really contemplating this mod, just wondering how and why. Still am, 'cause I'm not so sure it'll have much benefit to add a fin that way.:confused: But maybe somebody else has another opinion and/or the experience and the figures to back it up.

Cheers,

Richard

Oliver Knuf
February 20th 2003, 04:53
Not completely true. The cylinder looks like it would be longer, but the top cooling fin of the cylinder is machined down. You can get Mahle (look-a-likes) setups for 71mm stroke and for 80mm stroke and the only difference is, that the 80mm stroke set has longer cylinders. The fin was invented and tested by Mr.Kummetat, the shop where Klaus deals with!