PDA

View Full Version : super chassis under a early body?

deutschlooker
August 16th 2002, 01:54
how hard would it be to place an early body on a newer superbeetle chassis? that way I could have IRS like i want

Superman
August 16th 2002, 06:07
It's hard for me to answer that because we don't have swing axle Supers in good ole USA, so I have no hands on experience. However, to the best of my knowledge, it shouldn't be any more difficult than a normal pan swap. Keep in mind that the seat tracks are different. The frame head in '75 is shaped a little different on the top (for the R&P steering) but that's not going to be a problem. There is a extra fuel line (on the FI cars) that you won't need. I'm 99% sure it will work.

American Supers never got discs in the front and some European Supers have swing axle. Strange we got the good rear and you got the good front.

vujade
August 16th 2002, 06:41
concerning the swingaxle vs irs rear end and the drum brake vs disc brake front axle, neither of these is going to be an issue with a body swap. The main issues here to work out will be the different frame head of the super beetle used for its strut front end and the attach points of the struts to the inner fenders.

Chris Percival
August 16th 2002, 06:59
Originally posted by Superman

some European Supers have swing axle.

Really?

samcat
August 16th 2002, 07:15
If my brain is working right (no guarantees there I'm afraid) it was on Semi-Auto's

Sam C

Superman
August 16th 2002, 12:15
Well Chris you can actually answer that better than me since you are there. So many different counties use different parts. Even the Mexican Beetle up to 2001 has a swing axle.

Superman
August 16th 2002, 12:17
Originally posted by deutschlooker

how hard would it be to place an early body on a newer superbeetle chassis? that way I could have IRS like i want

You do mean a early [Super] body to late superbeetle chassis, correct? (that's how I answered the question)

CPRcubed
August 16th 2002, 14:38
Funny, I took it as an old body style (say an oval for example). The is no such thing as too much detail (of course that's coming from an engineer :rolleyes: ). Cheers!

deutschlooker
August 16th 2002, 14:39
what I meant is about putting an early 60s body on an early 70s(71-72) super chassis

Superman
August 16th 2002, 22:02
Then please disregard my post, it applies to Supers, old and new.

What you are asking has been done:

http://community.webshots.com/album/39423047UQlzuf

Angelo Amato
August 17th 2002, 18:34
Oliver Knuf can back me up !

A chopped bug in germany was running super bug suspension. How ?.... they just used the super bug and grafted on an early front end !! works too. I got it in a mag if you want a scan ! It's amazing to see the difference in the width between the models - the struts on the OUTSIDE of the inner wing. car was called' THE OUTLAW' still looks pretty cool too - I will scan it and upload it !! :D

Michael Ghia
August 23rd 2002, 16:04
Yes it'll work but you need to weld in strengthening metal and strut inner wings to the bug.
The rear mountings on the chassis are different so you need ot drill out the spot welds on the rear bodymounts (behind the wheel) and moved them further up.
The front bulkhead is the same shape but everything forwards from that is different.
I'd look at removing everything from inbetween the front 1/4's on your early body and then welding in most of it from a Super Bug.
MG