PDA

View Full Version : will this quaife diff work in my tranny?

petevw
March 1st 2003, 03:02
i found a IRS Quaife diff for type1, that the guy uses with beetle CV's.

now i check on the quaife site and it lists 2 different items/part numbers:

VW - Type 1 IRS with 33T Type 1 splines
VW - Type 1 IRS with 37T Type 2 splines

what is the difference?

in my tranny i have a 4 spider diff using 10 tooth spider gears (not 11 tooth) with the super spline output shafts, which allow me to use 091 flanges and type2 CV's.

can i put this quaife in my tranny?
do i have to go back to bug output shafts?
can i keep my super spline type1/type2 output shafts?

anything else i should know?

thanks,
pete

Alex
March 1st 2003, 10:11
Not sure but the two items listed is for the output flanges I believe...so you have the pick of T1 or the bigger T2 output flanges to use with the proper CV joints.
So basically the guy is using the one with the smaller T1 CVs.

If the price is right I would go for it and make sure that you get good T1CVs. you have to remember though that T1 CVs are the weakest of them but then I think it is better to have a borken CV than a broken tranny.

Call ERCO or a tranny shop....there are welded output shafts for T1 which are increased in size for T2 CVs that you can buy. That should work too.

BTW...I am not a tranny expert (I am no expert in anything really) so use this info with care and get some more opinions.

Alex

petevw
March 1st 2003, 18:25
Originally posted by Alex

Call ERCO or a tranny shop....there are welded output shafts for T1 which are increased in size for T2 CVs that you can buy. That should work too.

Alex

yeah exactly, i have the type2/ type1 modified output shafts.

i am running the bigger type2 CV's right now.

i am wondering if these "modified" output shafts are compatible with this "type1 output shaft" quaife diff.

are all output shafts of the same diameter from the inner gear--to the splined end?

can these quaife diffs be checked? how do i know that this diff is still ok with 1000 miles on it?

thanks alex,
pete

lightning bug
March 2nd 2003, 22:58
Doublecheck me but I'm 99.9% sure that the Quaife for the T1 comes in 2 variations. For IRS or Swingaxle. I'm not sure of the differences, but I would check that for sure. Good Luck!!

petevw
March 2nd 2003, 23:47
this is a IRS diff

Alex
March 3rd 2003, 00:34
Pete,

Quaiffe has lifetime warranty I believe and 1000 miles is very little usage. For about 600US you can get a very good used ZF from BC. He will give you maybe a better deal in Canadian. Bruce Tweddle sells them. I got mine form him.

Again....call Erco or KCR Transmissions to find out how to check the Quaiffe for damage or call Quaiffe USA directly.

Alex