PDA

View Full Version : Got the urge to VW

wanabee
March 1st 2003, 13:29
First of all I want to say this is an awsome Forum!
I have been into hot-rodding Detroit Iron and currently have an '85 Mustang GT that I have grown tired of mostly due to the the smog laws I am blessed with here in California.
I want to try a VW and I have a preference for an old Beetle. What should I be aware of as far as best years and potential problems. I don't want to get ripped off.
Any advice will be welcomed.

typ4boy
March 2nd 2003, 08:21
hi , try to find a late modal bug, idealy a 1302, 1303 these are the cars that can be modifyed with a lot of porsche parts that will fit with not much work, they are much more suited to german look style than other models of bugs, having said that check out the members rides we have everything from splits to mexicans so the choice is yours .if your from cali your lucky dry state and all that , probably find one that needs no resto unlike us from u.k and euro who spend a fortune on resto then have to spend another fortune on custom parts etc etc , so spend abit more on a good car that needs no resto . happy hunting. wlcome to G.L.com, regards Lee L.A.Performance.

Superman
March 2nd 2003, 12:54
Yes, the newer model of the "old" Bug is the best platform to work with as stated above. The 1302 & 1303, or more commonly called "Super Beetle" here in USA, shares the same suspension design concept as the Porsche 944 so it's much easier to fit those parts. However, if you prefer the older body style the Porsche componets can still be fitted but just require much more work.

hot66
March 2nd 2003, 18:43
correct me if i'm wrong, but if you have probs with the smog laws you should think of getting a pre65 bug, as I think these don't have the same emission regulations in cal.

Am i correct with the above statement ?

If this is the case, then you can still 'german look' an early car & still get the high performance all round you will be looking for :)

vujade
March 2nd 2003, 19:00
I believe in Cali it is pre 74 cars that are smog exemt? (I think?)

Superman
March 2nd 2003, 20:18
Yea Cali bumped the regulation up to pre-1974