PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Quality For Porsche Tranny...

SprintStar
March 3rd 2003, 06:05
Hello All,

I'm interested in a 901 or 915 conversion, but is there a quickshift kit I can fit?

I've tried driving a few 911s and the shift has got lotsa throw...

I've been too pampered by my Gene Berg shifter. :-)

Richie
March 3rd 2003, 07:17
Yep, for both are short shift kits available.
Look for instance at the Pelicansparts site: Pelican Parts (http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911E/por_911E_pedals_main.htm)
The throws are not as short as Berg's are, approx. 35% instead of 40-60% for a Bergshifter.

Good luck

Richard

SprintStar
March 3rd 2003, 15:18
Originally posted by Richie
Yep, for both are short shift kits available.
Look for instance at the Pelicansparts site: Pelican Parts (http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911E/por_911E_pedals_main.htm)
The throws are not as short as Berg's are, approx. 35% instead of 40-60% for a Bergshifter.

Good luck

Richard

Is it a straight fit or a shot in the dark? Already I'm afraid to tackel the 901/915 project coz no one can tell me exactly how much lengthen and bend the shift rod...

Would appreciate some numbers.....

lightning bug
March 3rd 2003, 22:00
Ther are factory kits and Weltmeister kits. I will be using the factory with a Gateshift to eliminate "5th to 2nd" shifts. You can also get a Wevo or a Fabcar. There's also another with gates built right into the base. Its like $1500 clams though!!

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/ProdCat/Shifter/Shifter.htm

I think you'll have to bend til it fits with the install. I haven't really heard any real numbers yet.

SprintStar
March 4th 2003, 01:58
Originally posted by lightning bug
Ther are factory kits and Weltmeister kits. I will be using the factory with a Gateshift to eliminate "5th to 2nd" shifts. You can also get a Wevo or a Fabcar. There's also another with gates built right into the base. Its like $1500 clams though!!

http://www.smartracingproducts.com/ProdCat/Shifter/Shifter.htm

I think you'll have to bend til it fits with the install. I haven't really heard any real numbers yet.

Hehe... Bend it till it fits with the install? Gosh.. that means having to take it in and out of the tunnel? I hate that part, even with shifter bushing replacement... :-(

Good luck with your project and hehe... Do take down some numbers and share the wealth! :-)

Sprint.

Richie
March 4th 2003, 03:35
Hi,

Installing a 901 or 915 gearbox in a Bug means you'll have to fit the shifter and shiftrod as well.
I have a modified shiftrod waiting for its next install. I'll take some measurements and post them here. I cut it in half at the straight part and twisted the rear piece 180 degrees. That way it could pass under the rear torsionbarhousing.

Cheers,
Richard

SprintStar
March 4th 2003, 03:46
Originally posted by Richie
Hi,

Installing a 901 or 915 gearbox in a Bug means you'll have to fit the shifter and shiftrod as well.
I have a modified shiftrod waiting for its next install. I'll take some measurements and post them here. I cut it in half at the straight part and twisted the rear piece 180 degrees. That way it could pass under the rear torsionbarhousing.

Cheers,
Richard

So you didn't bend yours at all? Just cut and reweld 180°? Did you have to extend it?

Sprint.

Richie
March 4th 2003, 04:05
Yup, correct, no bending.

I'll measure how much I extended it.

Cheers,

Richard

lightning bug
March 4th 2003, 11:23
You're talking about the 915 shiftrod, correct? That was the one I was referring to. Are you installing soon? Would appreciate some pics and #'s as well. THANKS!!!!

Richie
March 4th 2003, 16:38
Sorry, no was talking about the 901. Haven't taken any measurements yet.'If you would still like to know them I will do this tomorrow. The only picture I had available was too large, sorry.

Cheers,
Richard

Richie
March 5th 2003, 18:15
I've extended the 901 shiftrod 11 cm. That is a bit over 4". The 901-shifter was installed in the place as the original. Just straightend(sp?) the shifter so it wouldn't lay on the floor in 1st, 3rd and 5th :D

Good luck,
Richard