PDA

View Full Version : heater boxes

oasis
March 5th 2003, 12:31
Hi,

As I put together what I want for specs on my future GL, I have question regarding heat in a 1303. (I intend to drive it when temps get below 32°F/0°C.)

My original plans are a 2270 with a BAS exhaust.

Should I go with:
(a) heater boxes,
(b) a current Eberspacher heating system,
(c) a vintage Eberspacher heating system, or
(d) a plan different than my original?

With (a), I'm not sure of my options with a BAS system. I know (b) will be pricey, but that would be okay within a certain amount of reason as long as a current model can be easily fitted. I'm leary of (c) due to shopping for a reliable unit from a reliable person.

Thanks,
René

cnavarro
March 5th 2003, 14:16
I wanted to have heat on my squareback and I was going to use a BAS header along with stock heater boxes until I decided to go with a Tangerine 4-2-1 system.

One could always fabricate some sort of heater boxes around the header if you needed heat I would suppose.

Getting a vintage gas heater that is rebuilt isn't that hard to do- there is a guy in CO that will sell a complete rebuilt and bench tested unit for $450. The new espar heaters are in excess of $1200 last time I checked, but they do have an almost "bolt-on" replacement for a BN2 in their modern product line.

Stock heater boxes of the higher performance variety from a 411/412 were designed to be used in conjunction with a gas heater, so alone I don't think they would provide you with sufficient heat. Heater boxes from a late bus with the triangle flange would be way too restrictive and also would have the worst tuning characteristics of any possible exhaust system you could bolt onto your 2270.

I ended up finding a vintage, almost NOS BN2 for my square in Canada for only a little more than $200 USD. If you look really hard, there are deals to find. You could always fit a larger BA4 in your bug and do a custom type of setup, as we have done in Shad's fastback, beneath his rear seat, coupled with two 300 cfm bilge blowers.

Good luck!

Take care,

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance

Wally
March 5th 2003, 15:14
Charles,
Its nice to learn that you and Shad both drive type 3's. I have recently got a squareback and plan on putting my 2 ltr type 4 in it. I also thought of the possibilities of a good header versus heater boxes. Although I've had great results with the 412 heater boxes and the BAS header and damper system (5950 rpm in 4th gear on a original AT (long) gearbox), I will use a BAS SS 4 into 1 header and probably a custum damper, because of the different room under a type 3.
For heat I got a modern BN4 (from a BMW I believe) for about $ 100,-- (was cheap at a swap meet, yes). I think it will come in under the back seat or above the gearbox in some sort of box to protect it from the spray of water.
Walter

oasis
March 6th 2003, 10:53
Charles, thanks for the succinct reply. You are correct in that new models I have seen are around US$1400. My hesitation with purchasing an older unit is what should be included and finding a reliable source (i.e. avoiding someone who sells me a non-working "NOS" unit). Of course, saving a grand never hurts.

Incidently, my attraction to the BAS system is being able to use the cut-outs (or whatever they are called) in the rear apron. Also, I am not much of a do-it-yourselfer -- so, the less "special" fabrication, the better. (I do have plans for placing a roof-mounted antenna and side blinkers from a modern VW on the 1303 -- so, I am not avoided it at all cost either.)

Thanks again,
René