PDA

View Full Version : Flipping the Diff in a 901

yetibone
March 17th 2003, 23:27
I have a 901 gearbox. It came out of an early 914 in Ramstein and was shipped here. I also got the front housing, and Hockey stick for a mid '60's 901. Shifter from a 914, and a rod, and linkage for a Safari.
Has anyone here flipped the differential carrier over for rear engine operation by themselves? If so, does it require dismantling
the whole transmission to get the pinion, and the input shaft out of the way?
I would like to try this myself. I am a mechanic by trade, but I don't work on transmissions, other than clutches, seals, or service
and I dont have the jigs, and pullers and such to dismantle an entire gearbox, and reassemble in good order.
Also, how much would it cost for a more experienced professional to do the job?

Yetibone

jhelgesen
March 18th 2003, 08:28
I've done it in my shop, no problem whatsoever. You just have to pull the nose cone off. Then the 1st and reverse gears come out. Undo one bolt that holds the slider fork and the whole shooting match should come out.

Let me know and I can copy the section from the 911 factory manual for you.

I'm looking for another 901 nose cone and shifter rod if anyone has one laying around.

yetibone
March 18th 2003, 22:31
Thanks for the spiritual advice! I think I'll try it. A copy of that section of the manual would help me alot. Hell, I'll drive down to ya to get it! I think we're only about 75 miles apart.:D

Yetibone

jhelgesen
March 18th 2003, 22:55
Come on down, love to have the company in the shop. We can crack open the 914 tranny I need to check out anyway.

Wally
March 19th 2003, 16:36
I also have a 914 box lying around with a broken nose cone and would like to use it. The nose cone has to be replaced to use it anyway.
Jurgen,
Can you also use a side shifter 914 box? Are all the pieces for the than different shift location (i.e. from the nose) in the new nose cone of a 901 box? Do all 901 nose cone boxes fit the 914 box?
Thanks,
Walter

yetibone
May 25th 2003, 15:00
...So I got ambitious one Saturday afternoon and decided I'd try this myself. Got the end housing off, 1st/reverse fork off, put it in 5th gear, removed the fork piece, and reverse light pin, and Voila!

Flipped the diff, and put it back together. Even made the 914 selector shaft work with a 901 front housing.

Yetibone